[RESOLVED] Wiki Conflicts: Utility=Gas v man_made=street_cabinet

First noticed in Osmose that street_cabinet was (allegedly) deprecated. The street_cabinet wiki is oblivious of this. ID Editor and JOSM are too.

man_made=street_cabinet

utility=gas

NB: Just see this was flagged in a community subsection on Feb.12, general talk attention needed as someone modified one wiki with the left hand and did not communicate to the right hand giving me reason to just dismiss this.

Can you link to an area where Osmose claims this?

Tag:utility=gas - OpenStreetMap Wiki itself mentions that at most it is replacement for street_cabinet=gas and definitely not for man_made=street_cabinet

1 Like

Not momentarily, I map them regularly and just routinely sent them hiking. It gets Osmose flagged both on cabinets mapped as node and as area. The last one I did was in Montorio next to the soccer stadium which was March 29. CS Changeset: 134254892 | OpenStreetMap. Had not come around submitting a whine, sat in bookmark.

The tagging goes like

man_made=street_cabinet
street_cabinet=gas

As I’ve done since whenever

The wiki describes the street_cabinet tag as what the functional type or role is

PS This flagging is since a few months maybe.

I can’t see a wiki conflict. There’s a new section “Legacy street cabinet categories” of Tag:man_made=street_cabinet - OpenStreetMap Wiki that explains that the recommanded tagging instead of

man_made=street_cabinet
street_cabinet=gas

is now

man_made=street_cabinet
utility=gas
2 Likes

OK, that section I did not see, was added sometime late January. I’ve added " (See Legacy street cabinet categories section below.)" at the street_cabinet line to encourage reading on.

Edit: To be sure, just tested in JOSM 18678, latest tested, start searching presets for street_cabinet. This generates the first line man_made=street_cabinet. The preset asks for what type, fill in gas and the tag line street_cabinet=gas is added.

I think any recent deprecations or wiki changes are likely a result of this recently approved proposal: Proposed features/Utility facilities - OpenStreetMap Wiki

2 Likes