Why o why series..

It’s not because of not knowing physical barrier. I assume it is the quick, mistaken conclusion that a solid double line seen from fresh imagery looks like a concrete barrier. (the area that I posted got better, crispier Esri than Maxar imagery)

Either that or trying to avoid the potentially messy bus route relations.

I don’t put much hope in that, grab’s indian contractors especially. That doesn’t put other paid mappers off the hook either. :expressionless:

When I was making the bus routes in Ipoh, I found out that there are TONS of unnecessary double roads and road links. Most major roads are drawn separately for each direction, regardless that there are barriers or not, even a few main residential roads are doubled which seems unnecessary. Also there is a cross drawn on many junctions which is unnecessary (probably for smooth turn or something). The user(s) who made this seems to be inactive since MCO.

Some bus routes are affected when fixing all these road problems, but I will try to fix them if I have time, hope there is someone interested in mapping bus routes.

There are people interested in doing bus routes, but how? Unless you are a local, you’d probably be getting info from copyrighted sources anyways.
I looked at Perak’s bus routes yesterday (trying to repair those affected by double roads correction), and it lists only road/stop names which there really is no way of knowing since those stop names are not in OSM (yet).

For some other companies (like RapidKL used to be iirc), they just showed their routes on google map which we can’t use anyways. We just don’t have enough contributors willing to do the leg work due to time constraints, cost etc. I mean, I would love to go sightseeing on buses if they are being paid for! :slight_smile:

It started when someone added a note that there was (were?) traffic light(s?) in a residential area around Jalan Taman Star, Ipoh. Thought it was a quick fix, however, it was an actual nightmare.

Residential highways at a cross junction; all split into double carriageways and generously traced ramps (why?); and totally made up turn restrictions (seriously? 20 of those?) involving probably all those highways.

Someone uploaded many OpenStreetCam photos in and out of the said junction. Probably the driver was frustrated to see changes reflected through the Grab app. Spaghetti routes, very likely.

Browsed to see edits made by the same user. I noped out totally, because I freaked out seeing excessive turn restrictions (and already any bus routes present). I rather not wipe those bus routes, because I usually am hastily deleting extra highways and/or associated turn restrictions (while cross checking with available street level photos). Sorry for that!

I would like to thank the non-local mappers who helped map this. Not only they traced the roads, they also provided the street name.

Source: a taxi friend. Right, one person who happened to memorise 1000+ odd street names for the whole city. Spotless.

Then, this wonderful contributor naffed off to where he should be editing: closer to home I guess. At least the Data Working Group is nicer this time.

The last time I happened to get the attention from DWG was an unfortunate consequence: scraping many, many things from the Source-Which-Cannot-Be-Named. One can get away, no show, no tell, etc. but there’s a trap!

Do not forget the great geometry of that Jl Akasia 14, consisting of several ways, …

F*#k your kitchens…and toilets #IRM

New batch of contract mappers from that company. Seeing their imprints on the east coast starting June. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WN0T-Ee3q4 :confused:

https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/Sentral
Amazing user that had made some weird change around Penang, ahoo.

I really cannot recommend building houses over roads. That will eventually lead to terrible problems. Like on the photo below, near my home:

What are the chances that the street in both maps have the same amount of unneeded segments? (the one shown in JOSM is also made of 3 segments).
:slight_smile:

What you see, may be incorrect from ground level or any local mapper’s initial hard work, etc. Bing imagery suggested the correct geometry though (Jalan Istana Kuning is a straight highway).

… or, in Malay, bagai tikus membaiki labu. Ta-da! The more you know. Labu is not a pumpkin, it’s a pottery instead.

I know Malaysian active mappers can be counted with hands, but it doesn’t mean some places didn’t get any tender love at all. There are many indirect cues and direct tools to actually find out which place has an overlord, totalitarian, authoritarian local gatekeeping mapper (like me)… also the Movement Control Order has been relaxed - which means my mapping activity would come to a minimum. Blergh, what even am I talking about.

Another amazing user, added many suspicious road names into OSM, SEE Here

Apa ke masalahnya lah diorang ni… set makan buah epal ni bikin aku tension gak gayanya. Tu belum masuk bab upgrade highway classification. Kadavale…

Some OSM highways follow some strange logic:

Why does the road coming from north-west turn to the left instead of continue straight on? Why do we need that extra node between the two following junctions? Why does it turn right then? And why do we have to turn two times when we just want to get straight on?

… and when you join a new way to an existing way, there’s no need to hit an existing node:

… just my everyday experience when mapping in Thailand.

Fortunately, Malaysia has much less such issues.

Are you sure? :smiley:

I have been noticing this guy for a while. Here, he imagines a drain across 300mtrs of TNB land. It is unfortunate that we would be correcting these imaginative mappers’ edits for years to come.

… next to “Lorong Bersih”. Hope the water in the drain is clean, too. Or did the drain end in Nirwana?

https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=15/4.9682/100.9853