why are there different ways to download OSM Data?

Hi,
I´m new in this topic and would be very happy, if you could help me with some questions:)

Do the ID´s of existing elements change sometimes and what happens with the ID´s of deleted elements?

I got a Matlap file which downloads the osm Data with overpass API by calling this ‘http://overpass-api.de/api/interpreter?data=’,
but I always read about other ways to download the data. Why are there so many different ways?

And finally, the Code I got is in Matlap so I have Matlap Syntax, but in the most examples that I find they dont say in which language it is programmed. I just read about OSM_XML or Overpass_QL, but where can I program and compile it?

Thank you for helping me with that beginner questions :slight_smile:

greetings

It would be helpful if you also describe your intention.

Regards Klaus

Also please note that this is the German section of the forum. You can ask here in English if your question targets German users or Germany in OSM, otherwise please post in one of the international sections.

Yes, the ID of an existing elements change sometimes, e.g. one user delete a node/way (e.g. a removed building) and another user add this node/way (because he see this building still in bing maps)
The ID of deleted elements is still there, because it gets only an invisible-flag (in most cases)

Because so many users want to use the data in so many different ways/applications

There is nothing to program or to compile?! Primary, OSM is a database. You can extract/download its data in different ways. A non-professional user could use overpass-turbo.eu. A professional user would use the pbf downloads from geofabrik and commandline tools/scripts to convert/filter the data.

Do you have already read the Introduction?

And some crazy users are using osmosis & osm2pgsql to create a PostgreSQL/PostGIS-Database :wink:

Regards
walter

Und ich dachte schon, die echten Profis arbeiten nur mit dem Planet file. :sunglasses:

Nee, das sind dann die ultimate user :smiley: