What's your preferred setup for recording Mapillary on two wheels?

I’m curious to know how you prefer to record Mapillary while on two wheels. Currently, I mount an action camera on my helmet using a chin mount. During my dirt bike rides, I capture several hours of footage at an acceptable resolution.

Previously, I used a remote control on my gear lever for taking photos, but it was inconvenient and risky on narrow trails.

Afterward, I review the footage, capture consecutive screenshots with VLC software, and use a script to set the photo time based on the filename. For geotagging, I rely on HoudahGeo3 software and reference the trip GPX file.

Processing takes about an hour, and my Mapillary uploads become available in iD after a few days. However, I find my current setup complex and would appreciate any suggestions to streamline and improve the process’s efficiency.

3 Likes

I would be curious too. I havent recorded anything for Mapillary yet but am considering it.

1 Like

I have my GoPro Hero Session (has no GPS) mounted below the handlebar.
It takes an image every second.
The first images show the display of the GPS device - time and date.
GPX is recorded by a Garmin etrex 30.
Images and GPX are copied to PC.
A script using exiftool puts the lat/lon into the images, comparing time and date of images (exif data) plus time and date on first images (as offset) with timestamps of GPX file.

Sounds complicated? Yep.

Edit: I use the images locally in JOSM.

1 Like

Nice setup! Have you had any problems with stabilization and blurry pictures? I’ve found that hand-picking certain frames in a video helps me avoid the blurry ones, but it takes quite a bit of time.

Yes, some of the images are blurry, exposure time is too long, … all the things which happen when the camera is in motion, tilt, …
It’s quite easy to ignore the pictures in JOSM while stepping through the list. I don’t make any attempts to find, filter, manipulate or delete those pictures.
“image per second” is a compromise between high resolution pictures and missing details when riding quite fast (image: you can’t read the details on the sign, next image: you’ve already passed the sign)

1 Like