What's the tags for this ancient lifting device

The bigger wheel could be used to turn the apparatus as well, all wood but for the rope.

I would say man_made=crane with historic=yes. I don’t know what crane:type would be, if anything at all.

thx, added material=wood.

Was looking at this thing, stones near the footing, sculptures to the side off pic, there’s a little cantilever mechanism to hang the top wheel over the wall but think it’s not been used for a while. Would be a pity to break it.

For further info see also:

and

The wheel to the right is maybe a meter in diameter. At left there’s a 4 handle cross which I think is the control to lower the cantilever, at right the wheel can be pulled to lift, it still turns.

Is it actually a lifting device or just a winch or windlass that could be used for dragging things?

Or is it some sort of shearleg that leans over when it’s in operation?

Now I know what the top part would be called in English… sheerleg or shearleg, both goes.
Thx

I’ve also seen similar structures with a sheave on them referred to as A-frames so your mileage may vary. Ironically in my experience A-frames often look Π shaped and the more they look like an A the more likely the are to be called shear legs.

I think our crane types could do with a bit of an upgrade, the descriptions there seem a little odd to me, possibly machine translated.

‘A’ he said… there’s definitely an A shape in that upper part. Rang at the municipio just before closing… blank faces… asked the construction worker at the back of the building improving another ruin, the village laden with reconstructions… he said it was for lifting, so on that we all agree.

Done everything from nearly ground up at Elice, classic medieval Italian village on a bulge with the church (and the castle) of course at highest point. Took 3 surveys, the ‘crane’ which I estimated at 3-3.5 meters, on a platform a little eyesore in F4 3D.

Few more details and moving on to next village…

PS The restaurator working at the backside of the building called the contrapsion a ‘gru’… crane.

1 Like