What lanes tag would you give this?

this type of residential road is quite common in london, however i’m not sure what to tag it as. it has a centerline, but is effectively a single lane

If I was tagging this I would put lanes=2 without thinking twice.

The question reminds me of How to tag *unusable* sidewalks? where I would have also said there is a sidewalk on both sides of the road (the physical infrastructure) even if it’s unusable on a typical day.

1 Like

Whichever lane tags you choose at the end (I have no preference) - width specifications seem more important to me here. So it’s best to also specify width (from curb to curb) and parking:both=lane, because the usable width can be easily derived from this.

(If you decide for lanes=2, consider also width:lanes).

It looks like they put parking lanes without removing centreline paint.

I would tag lanes=1 as there is single car-width lane.

I would also notify local government about confusing lanes on roads.

Disclaimer: not from London or UK. Maybe this has some meaning? You may want to ask talk-gb mailing list for their opinion.

1 Like

I see

1. cars parked in both directions i.e. oneway=no
  2. 1/3rd from the right end there’s kind of a table, speed bump, exhaust wrecker.
  3. The signs at the street entrances would be of interest v.v. priority, living street maybe, give and take.
  4. narrow=yes on street.

2 Eurocents.

this type of residential road is quite common in london, however i’m not sure what to tag it as. it has a centerline, but is effectively a single lane

IIRR only lanes wide enough for double tracked vehicles are counted, so it is maybe lanes=0? :wink:
or lanes=2 if you count the space always occupied by parked vehicles to the lane.