What is the difference between "height" and "building:height" keys?

Thank you for the reply vvoovv.
Your hints solved both examples. I couldn’t solve them on my own.

Do you mind if I ask additional question, please?

So both building outline and building parts are consisted of two parts:
a) walls
b) roof, which is above the walls. If shape of the roof is not defined (‘roof:shape’ tag), then it is always assumed that the roof is flat.

The walls always start at the ‘min_height’. They end at ‘height’ - ‘roof:height’?

Everything is correct.

Actually it’s up to an application what to do if roof:shape isn’t set.

Thank you.

Can you be more precise on this please?

An application may assume that the roof is flat if roof:shape isn’t set.

Or treat it smarter. For example roof:shape=gabled in a rural area and roof:shape=flat in an urban one.

Very nice explanation.
Thank you once again vvoovv! You are answers have definitively improved my understanding of some of OSM tags and concepts!

Sorry if this post may be a bit unusual, don’t want to be impolite just wondering more and more. This endless series of sophisticated questions that no normal person would be able to come up with is too weird. Not just this thread but also many others. Also considering the complete lack of natural logic and understanding, yet plowing on and on and on into tiniest details. Without being forced to by an employer or anyone. Is it even possible this is real?? Is this perhaps some sort of self-learning artificial intelligence experiment? Or perhaps some psychological study using an internet group? Some other alien reason? Have never seen anything even remotely like this.

Hi wycbtma,

Coming from a non GIS background, and literally not knowing anything about OSM may affect these questions a bit.
They are also affected by my inability to find the already made OSM wiki articles, or them not being included in the articles.
Some of them may also be specific to OSM 3d renderers, which is another reason why they may looking strange, as they are not that common for 2d renderers. I have just learned that in this topic. In the end they may also reflect the level (lack) of my brain’s capacity to understand features that may be easier for other users to understand.

Guess most people tend to rather pick as a hobby things that are easier for themselves as for others, at least for such laborious long-time hobbies. Anyway, thank you for replying!

Thank you for your help with my previous question wycbtma!