What is considered stealing from other maps?

If I had been attacked in private, I would have solved in private. Unfortunately he chose this thread instead. Sorry for the inconvenience. You can mute the thread if you dislike the notifications.

A competent moderator is capable of :

• reading a few lines of text, without inventing things between these lines.
  • not starting a conversation with the wording “GAME OVER”.
  • not writing in full capitals (a mod should know this is considered as yelling).
  • restore order (not start conflicts themselves)
  • not use their title in order to bully other users
  • in case they’re doubting about a cartographer, they should message the Data Working Group.

I had to message myself the Data Working Group Ticket#2023041310000255 and waiting for them to comment in this thread.

1 Like

Hello, Andy from the DWG here.

What exactly do you want me to say, that hasn’t already been said by other DWG members, numerous former OSMF board members and board members from OSM-US?

The message is not “don’t get caught stealing”. It is not “don’t try and use a legal loophole that might allow you to use data that you otherwise might not have access to”. It is instead to make sure that OSM data can be re-used without fear that there might be anything dubious in it, anything that might allow someone to lobby against OSM by sowing fear, uncertainty and doubt.

That’s why Richard and Simon’s replies were what they were; any use of data that shouldn’t be in OSM (whether that would be because of copyright, some sort of database protection, a ToS violation or something else) devalues the other, valid, data in OSM and makes it less likely to be used.

4 Likes

Ok @someone thanks for your answer. Feel free to revert my contributions and delete my account.

1 Like

Could others have been more diplomatic towards you earlier while expressing their disagreement? Yes. However their is no public benefit to continuing this thread if it is to serve as a verbal boxing cage between two or three individuals. I am closing this thread permanently.

3 Likes