We don't need anonymous notes

How did you get this data? According to StreetComplete, this seems to be data for all time. At the same time, #organicmaps is contained in ~37 thousand notes

Not sure if ContributionReviewer | OpenStreetMap will eventually clear them out or not?

So far, this account only touches on a very small and specific portion of the notes

1 Like

One comment on GitHub opened my eyes. The very name of the “Add a note to the map button” is confusing and encourages misuse of notes.

Made it into a separate issue: Rename the "Add a note to the map button" to "Report an error on map" · Issue #4446 · openstreetmap/openstreetmap-website · GitHub

Is there consensus that notes are only for map errors?

1 Like

IMO no

more characters needed :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

1 Like

And let’s take it a step further: how do you make your notes more informative?

Let’s take a look at our competitor, Yandex Maps:

They sort notes already at the creation stage!

They even have something you can draw on right away.
But the main thing is that they understand what the note is about, whether it is important, how to process it…

What it might look like for us

(just a mockup in five minutes in the browser console)

15 Likes

Something I’d also like to see is extra detail for included supporting photos.

Currently you see Notes created & people have included a photo, but you don’t know where it’s been taken from, or what direction they’re facing at the time.

It would be nice to include “add a photo”, which then asks “where was the photo taken from” & drops a camera icon on that spot, together with “what direction were you facing” which shows a direction arrow from that camera icon.

Edit for typo

5 Likes

I get this data by analyzing the text from a database thanks to OSM-Notes-profile (A project I am working on).

I am querying the whole Note’s history, and trying to get the application on which they were created.

Regarding organicMaps, I had a mistake because I was only looking at the notes that included the mobile platform (#organicmaps android, #organicmaps ios) but there are other notes that just included the app name (#organicmaps).

• 1697 - “#organicmaps ios”
  • 7307 - “#organicmaps android”
  • 9004 - organicmaps (platform specified)
  • 28097 - “#organicmaps” (platform not specified)
  • 37101 - “#organicmaps%” (any)
1 Like

Most notes with photos tend to be made by StreetComplete and that is quite a handy feature so I definitively support the idea of an official way to include photos for nodes.

9 Likes

From my personal experience, I think that anonymous notes can be a good way to attract new mappers. At least for me that was how I got into OpenStreetMap in the first place: I started to report some errors anonymously - I probably wouldnt have bothered to do so if I had had to sign up first. After observing these notes for several months and realizing that nobody was resolving them, I finally signed up to fix the errors myself. So, I think that without anonymous notes I wouldn’t have startet to contribute to OSM.

12 Likes

Would it help if we did show the IP address for anonymous notes? It might make it clearer who is abusing the system and give a clear way to flag things to mods.

Wikipedia has always had a warning that editing while logged out will publish your IP and they seem to be able to make use of this for less tech savvy trolls.

To be clear: I mean for new comments, not retroactively showing an IP when the user wasn’t warned ahead of time.

And due to privacy and other reasons, Wikipedia is considering replacing those IPs for anonymous users with other identifiable features. Another reason being that the IPv4 address that is being used, when it’s blocked for various reasons, it affects genuine anonymous users who happen to obtain at a later time that same IP address.
Can’t find currently the talk pages where this was discussed, but I remember seeing that last year.

2 Likes

Wikipedia has long warned logged-out users about their IP address being exposed, but apparently this isn’t enough to be compliant:

1 Like

10 posts were merged into an existing topic: Hashing to track contributors of notes

3 posts were split to a new topic: Hashing to track contributors of notes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Hashing to track contributors of notes

Why have discussions on how to group comments by contributor without breaking anonymity been removed from the discussion on whether we can continue to allow anonymous contributions?

Muting spam/abusers while retaining more productive anonymous notes seems to be central to this thread.

1 Like