Waterways mapcss JOSM-Style

wow - I love this!

I got a bunch of shape files on waterways, canals, drainage, sewer, etc from the City Engineering Office to put on OpenStreetMap this surely comes in very handy and just in time :star_struck:

Many many thanks

1 Like

Thanks. This should be a good opportunity to test this Style and see eventual improvements.

The image below illustrates the draft of the next version (not yet implemented) which covers more situations including tunnels and bridges for canals and pressurised waterways.

I integrated in the Style the pressurised waterways. I followed the Carto Standard OSM layer rules :

• dotted or plain lines beside the way to represent tunnels and bridges
  • dotted boxes to represent intermittent waterways
  • textures to represent natural areas

Hello Pierre

This is very good. Looking forward using it in josm once implemented.
It will surely ease some complex waterways edition.

Maybe you want to exclude tunnel=no from rendering as a tunnel? Same for bridge.

Thanks, I will add the rule for tunnel and bridge.

1 Like

New release with new features and simplification of characteristics

I implemented the new revision with simpliffication + colors to render bridge, tunnel, intermittent, etc.

Note again that for the contributors who have already installed the Waterways Style in JOSM, they may encounter problems getting the revised version. The JOSM Styles wiki page gives instructions how to remove the cache and update the style.

Version 1.8_2023-10-23 of the Waterways JOSM-MapCSS style has new features added

• harbour, dock, drydock, pier, water_tower and reservoir (node+polygon)
  • nodes+way+polygon for weir and dam
  • unclosed water polygons are flagged
  • setting option to « Show Water / Waterways names »

Main website Carto Style Styles/Waterways – JOSM
How to re-install https://josm.openstreetmap.de/wiki/Styles#UpdatingstylesinJOSM

2 Likes

Mentioned in the weekly newsletter 692, reactivated the map style but not becoming in my set up, every node related to natural=bare_rock turning blue too

Similar with natural=wood, but not with landuse=forest while testing tree cover.

And tracks & path appear now as were they tagless

PS: Sorting paint styles did not help to restore the highway/path/track Colorway style.

Thanks for the feedback. The style is still in development and adding more Water features should be the next step.

About rendering collisions when more then one style activated, As you experienced, sorting Styles could sometimes let render more objects, sometimes not. For the Waterways, I first use a low z-index to hide all objects, then render the Waterways Style features. From your comment, I realise that some styles use no z-index.

With my next version, I will remove the z-index when I hide objects to avoid collisions with other styles.

You can test this with a custom version of the style where you revise the way and node instructions at the beginning of the style and remove z-index:1;

1 Like