Washington DC tagging of shops & famous places

I’m new to OSM. Recently I did a walking tour through the Georgetown area of DC,
going by famous French restaurants and also passing by where Julia Child lived in 1948.

Questions: If there is a place now closed that was famous in the past,
can you edit the tag with something like (now closed)?

For example, Citronelle was a very famous restaurant at 30 & M NW in DC.
It is still tagged on the map.
But it has been closed since 2012!
I don’t want to delete tags for notable places,
But the tag should indicate the restaurant isn’t there anymore.

Q2: What about tagging residences where famous
People once lived? Is that done? Julia Child
Used to live at 2706 Olive Street back in 1948. Are historical tags acceptable?

Is there some plaque announcing the historical association? If so https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-gb/2012-January/012779.html may be relevant. If not, I think the map what is on the ground rule precludes mapping it.

It would be good to update POIs that have been closed. If nothing has taken its place, set the tag to disused:amenity=restaurant.

For normal objects, the history could be inspected to learn past tagging. That is more difficult if the POI began as a node and was later merged into the building outline.

Q2: I agree with ‘hadw’ on famous object histories.

In this case the restaurant closed recently enough that people who know the area but visit DC infrequently may believe it is missing not that it has closed. Following MikeN’s advice and adding disused:amenity helps obviate this kind of mapping problem. The other case where keeping such information is when the building premises were built for a specific purpose. In this case using disused:amenity or disused:shop can clarify why, say, a carpet shop is located in a building=cinema.

Our local experience in the UK is that retaining some information about previous businesses can help with using open data from local government as this may contain references to former businesses. We also happen to have a lively local interest in tracking the closure of local pubs: but this is very much a local convention because our local community shares a common interest.

Ultimately it is hoped that we can create historical as well as current maps of cities, something which is the goal of the OpenHistoricalMap project.