Wall, fence or both?

I need to map a wall which has has a fence on top of it. The wall is about 2 feet high. The fence is an additional 6 or 8 feet high and consists of railings, with barbed wire on top. The wall is around a car dealer’s “car park”. The fence allows potential customers to see and admire the cars.

Is this best mapped as a wall, a fence, or both? The wall is the most physically substantial part of the barrier, but the fence is what you’re most aware of and is what you encounter at eye level.

The options I can see are

• tag it as barrier=wall

• tag it as barrier=fence

• create two ways using the same nodes, and tag one as a wall and the other as a fence.

Thoughts?

Don’t think too complicated. :slight_smile: Tag it as what your first impression was. In my opinion that strongly sounds being a fence. Our data is (IMHO) not intended for car thieves to find the least strong barrier (“the wall is the most physically substantial part”) but to give guidance finding your way through the city (“the fence is what you’re most aware of and is what you encounter at eye level”).

Thanks—I was coming to more or less the same conclusion, so on this occasion I’ll map what’s above the ground rather than on it. It’s a fence with a very solid and wall-like base. :wink: I think the important point is that from a distance, you’ll see a high fence, not a low wall. And it’s not exactly inaccurate to map a fence, because there is a fence there. It just happens to be on top of a wall.