Vestigial "Pacific Coast Bicycle Route"

It’s historical with sticky, decades-long methods. There is established signage for this, it’s found in our wiki, our very old friend https://osm.org/relation/53722. PCBR for short. The history and its trek through OSM is long and storied.

I think a “steady ahead” approach is to dissolve the existing segments which have been intentionally replaced by USBR 95 (assuming and after Approval). The ghostly images of them being there are in our archives. 95 effectively replaces as much of PCB that it does (a decent job of it) leaving behind some stray belts and spurs. It isn’t known how local jurisdictions in these coastal counties have a department to slot this into. The remnants belong to a hazy, vague mish-mash of both local (incorporated city, county, which becomes the state at the department of Transportation, called Caltrans) and regional, an antique method of of tagging minor, though key ACA routing entering OSM early in the project.

USBRs this round (now at 2.4 Final, awaiting AASHTO Approval) are a nice new paint job, is how it looks. With Approval from AASHTO, 95 goes from dashed to solid, and what was red-and-purple become simply red (both logically and as described by OCM’s color scheme for ncn and rcn). It’s simple subtraction, no more rcn here (as old relation members), the ncn replaces.

I’m not sure I share with you the “it is clear” sense of this in the USA, in California. It’s really quite messy, and yet I continue to be amazed that somehow all of these things work. They work. They do.

I’m a scientist and engineer and part-time math student (mm, set theory deep from the 20th century) and I live and work here. USBR 95 both intends to and does a decent job of replacing the good old PCBR through here. I say this despite all the giggles I have had with City people and signage near the Boardwalk and I took pictures. Somehow, it all works. These (vestigial) route data in OSM? With 95’s Approval, OSM waves good-bye as we delete them. Yeah, I can look out with my binoculars and see that. Thanks for getting there with me. I am listening.

You just got superseded, PCBR (data in OSM). Your belts and spurs remain, for now. It happens. They are different things, they are different colors. We are fine.