Vandal reversals of multilingual names

-Josefol GV was one of the users blocked in multiuser bans problem I think. Do you help him?
-The law about the Galician names is this > https://www.boe.es/buscar/pdf/1983/DOG-g-1983-90056-consolidado.pdf , from 1983. So book from 1979 difficulty can talk anything about that.
-As you can read here two main sources in Spain like RAE or Wikipedia ES has some discussion about that against the law. So they are not impartial. > ¿Tiene sentido pedir que un cartel castellanice un topónimo gallego?

Democracy is not ridiculousness. The name in Spanish can be updated due the old name is not in use. We know it is not an easy issue and is trespassing OSM but please don’t use this for political reasons.
Because here it is what we discuss. A banned user had started to change the official name of a main road in Spanish in Spain and tried to hide this editing other things and in other places, not only Galicia.
There is no problem with Spanish, there is a problem with old exonyms out of use now used during the last dictatorships in Spain. Now there are some people who wants to return it. Should we return to Östmark or Donau und Alpenreichsgaue ? I don’t think so.
And next questions are not political:

-Did you ask the banned user why he had changed a main road in Spain?
-Did you ask the banned user why he had erased Galician names from little towns?
-Did you ask the banned user why he insulted other members of Spanish Community?

Respective use of name and name:es, here in Italy when name and name:it are not same to the letter, comma and space, Mr Osmose throws a tantrum. In my corner we’ve got more than a few war cemeteries with english names and the italian recorded under name:it, which invokes the “local language and name are not the same” or something to that effect. Just to say that someone came up with some OSM rule.

Edit: The exact message popped up on an item I touched in Spain “Default and local language name not the same”, the name field actually has the :es and :eu names combined with a slash as separator. That one needs correction: Way: ‪Balsa de Obecuri / Obekuriko urtegia‬ (‪129384381‬) | OpenStreetMap

Many questions! Read my mind :exploding_head:

To be fair, OsmOse is pretty clear about its suggestions - they’re things that you might want to consider, not necessarily problems at all. Unfortunately, people do sometimes treat these reports as “errors”.

5 Likes

Once again, references to politics, directly mentioning the names of political parties.

What’s wrong with that. Are you saying the actions of the banned user and others are not due to political reasons?

In this case it alludes to me personally. He says that my memories are from the dictatorship (again political references).

Well, I am answering to you so I am talking about you have said.

Your remembers would be from dictatorship times to new democracy’s times

This reference is a misunderstanding. I am not assimilating you to dictatorship thinkings. Please don’t be paranoid. Sorry if I made you think that. I don’t know how old are you. You told about your remembers so I was referring to that. Until 1983 Puentedeume was the only official name. So your remembers about that are from xxxx to 1983 or so on (for this reason I talk about dictatorship and political transition, your remembers you are talking about in the message above matches same years, like all the other Spaniards.)

It would be a good idea for the moderators to intervene at this point. This debate has already entered the delirious phase, well known to me. @nukeador, are you the moderator? Thank you!

And thank you for try to ban me because I’m only not thinking like you about this discussion. I know your fantastic work in wiki, but we are not agree in this topic. And I can tell you that in this discussion without big concepts and without cancelling anyone or anything like you are demanding.

Read my mind :exploding_head:

@SomeoneElse
These are treated with full ignore from my side🤓

1 Like

Maybe of interest, noticed today the imports from the old forum of a map project in Frysk also known as West Frisian. Could be a route for those who want to see a map in their local language deviating from the national standard, even of interest to those speaking Corsican which few days ago became forbidden to conduct official business in on the island.

Could you provide a link? I haven’t found it, but if I understand it correctly, it looks interesting.

I just reviewed more information about the user JosefoL GV, who is the one who really opened this discussion, and he is blocked (link 1). His previous user (jlcc78) was also blocked (link 2). His editions were considered vandalism for modifying the Spanish borders with Morocco; that is, it was politically motivated. In addition, his insults towards other users in the community broke the rules of coexistence. They can be checked in the comments of the blocks.

For all this, I think it makes no sense for this debate to continue because it was opened to question the work of ‘jeslop’. For the good of the project, it would not seem appropriate to give veracity to someone who for so long has had demonstrated political motivations, who has gone against some minimum standards of coexistence and collaborative work.

I suggest to consider this thread resolved: jeslop has not made vandal blocks. And next, I suggest transferring the multilingual labeling debate (place names in use and in disuse, for example) to the Spanish community forum, which is where it should be discussed (the ‘help and support’ section does not seem the most appropriate).

Let’s see if that straightens the issue.

Greetings

2 Likes

I’ve closed the topic as it is going nowhere and in any case is an internal issue for the wider Spanish community to deal with as has already been suggested.

6 Likes