Vanalinn Mapping Party

As you might know, I made the Every Door app to map every single shop and amenity. I have completed Õismäe area with malls around Rocca al Mare. It was fun. But I’d like to take on a more popular tourist destination. Thing is, I’d prefer not to do it alone this time.

Last Autumn I started mapping Vanalinn around Pikk tn. Roads and buildings are mapped pretty well, but shops haven’t been touched since 2017. And the technology back there didn’t help to map 100% of everything. It does now.

What do you think of meeting around 22-23 or 29-30 April (one of these days) for a tutorial on Every Door, a lonely walk collecting everything you see, and then a chat in a cafe?

• 22 April
  • 23 April
  • 29 April
  • 30 April
  • Sorry I can’t

0 voters

1 Like

Love the idea! Would love to meet up with fellow mappers. The weather at that time is usally nice, albeit a bit chilly.

I guess you meant “lovely” not “lonely” walk :smiley:

Start before noon, some 2-3h of mapping followed with a picnic or lunch somewhere? :plate_with_cutlery: :beer:

1 Like

:date::world_map::partying_face:
Once decided on dates, @Zverik you might want to add the mapping party to OSM calendar, this way it will be mentioned in weeklyOSM.

1 Like

Great! Thanks to that I found out what the heck were all those stands on the Peraküla - Ähijärve hiking trail in Läänemaa! They were milk churn stands! Another possibility to map them :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Curious case where in the West the stands were mostly made out of stone while being mostly wooden in the East :smiley: (based off the Et vs En Wikipedia entries).

Its cheaper to make out of wood even more so that wood was abundant source for building stuff around here in Estonia. Compare it to the Great Britain which doesn’t have much wood left in the whole system of islands so naturally stone was next best thing. Wood is easier to work with also since stone can be heavy.

1 Like