Use of private information to improve road attributes in Germany

Hi All,

Sorry for the delay in response due to my absence from work. A total of 1948 notes were added across Germany where our team was able to identify the existence of missing features in Private street imagery captured from 2017 to 2018. 46% of the added notes were verified by local community members and missing features were added to OSM confirming the existence and 11% were resolved without a response in notes (majorly due to a dispute in workflow understanding in July’20 as discussed in this thread before). 7% of the added notes were under community members discussion to cross check the ground reality and 35% of the notes were yet to be reviewed. Overall, we have received 9 cases where the notes added was confirmed to be not existing anymore after ground survey which confirms the data quality to be standing at ~99.5%.

Please find the breakdown of total notes added as a part of this initiative in below table:

With the support of local community members, a total of 896 notes were resolved which ended up adding 852 missing features to OSM. Majority of them covering speed limits, access restrictions, HGV attributes, weight and turn restrictions (detailed breakdown can be found from below imagery).

From our observation, though these notes were added based on the features identified from 2017 or 2018 street level images, 99.5% times they continue to be valid and are with high precision. Considering these features to be valuable input to OSM based routing and the safety of ITS users, we would like to propose three possible solutions to proceed further:

1. Close all notes as promised without any addition of data to OSM
  2. Resolve all the notes by our team by adding these features to OSM considering 99.5% quality found so far
  3. Leave the notes open for OSM community to verify and add them as per their availability

Please do let us know what is the right approach to be followed on this. Will lookout for larger responses from the community and take appropriate next steps.

Regards,
Jothirnadh

Dear Jothirnadh,

i was expecting that you would not close open notes just as suggested by your colleague Srinatpa. So let me review your suggested options.

1: I assume your assumption was that when there is nobody that would survey the site within the first half year, then the possibility is even less at a later point. And I share this assumption. According to your statistics 65% of your notes were resolved. This is a fantastic outcome. Almost two thirds. Closing the rest and tapping on your shoulder should be a good reaction on that, I think and this would be my personal option, as everybody can read through the whole thread. Besides, your colleagues and you would keep faith and stay to your words.

2: Would simply contradict OSM-rules. Using 3-4 year old street images from a non-licensed source, asking people to resurvey the places and after no one reacts just adding the data to osm yourself is not an option in my opinion.

3: just what it says. Keep them open…and open…and open…and open and having mappers again and again stumble over them

So to me, go ahead and close the 35% of notes, be happy and proud with the outcome.

I won’t comment on the statistics as you don’t mention how that statistic was built up.

Do I get it right to interpret this as withdrawal from the unconditional commitment of Srinatpa to close the notes?

The mass adding of notes in a non-local language with highly pattern-driven formulations had led to irritations in the community. From that point of view your now ‘offered’ further-proceeding-proposal reveals that the commitment to close still open notes after 6 month was a plain comforting measure, misleading the community. This casts a damning light on your attitude towards open and truthful communication and will not be welcomed by the openstreetmap community imho.

Thanks for you inputs @kaltuna & @tudacs. I was only intending to get the opinion of the community before closing the notes directly. There are some community members who appreciated the information added in the notes that helped in adding the missing information and thought of checking with everyone’s inputs. If everyone agrees the notes can be closed we will resolve all of them on Monday (25/01).

Hi All,

Thanks for all the support. Our team closed all the notes on Monday i.e., on 01/25. Do let us know if there are any further updates that are required from our end.

Regards,
Jothirnadh