Upcoming GSoC'23

Hello everyone,
I wanted to suggest a project idea for GSoC’23 and willing to work on it. Can someone tell me who do I reach out to?
Thanks in advance

there are several good pointers in this thread:

If you want to suggest own project idea then per Google Summer of Code - OpenStreetMap Wiki

If you already have a project in mind, you can also get in touch with maintainers of the project directly. See if you can already help out with small tasks to get an idea how the project works.

3 Likes

Hi @Mateusz_Konieczny ,
Thanks for your reply.
Could you please tell me who do I suggest my project to, if I have a road data related project in mind?
The maintainers exist for the pre-existing projects right?

you would need to be far more specific to answer that

Yes, GSoC is about helping to improve existing specific projects - though if you are lucky maybe your idea fits existing project and people maintaining it are interested in extra GSoC effort. But that is not guaranteed.

Could you perhaps explain here (in two or three paragraphs) what you are proposing? That way, people will be much better able to suggest what existing projects it fits in best with and who might be able to help.

1 Like

@SomeoneElse @Mateusz_Konieczny
Here is my idea:
While working on a research project I required the road length data for a specific area in India, but to my surprise no such data was present on the internet.
So let’s assume the resolution of the area to be 0.05°x0.05°. Road length for one grid lying in the area is defined as sum of lengths of all road lying in that particular grid. I prepared this data by extracting road shapefiles from OSM and later processed it in QGIS.
Is it possible to further implement this as a feature in OSM so that researchers can use the road density data conveniently.

Hello @SomeoneElse
I wanted to follow up on my previous message regarding the project. I would like to discuss the next steps and contact the right person for the same.

Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns. I look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Hiten

Generally speaking, I’d imagine that someone who wanted to do that would just load OSM into a spatial database and do the analysis there (it’s even one of the examples in the osm2pgsql documentation).

I’m not sure who that would be, to be honest. Are you proposing some sort of website that enables someone to make this query easily, or something else?

2 Likes

Oh, I didn’t know a similar thing existed in osm2pgsql.
And yeah I am proposing a website or a tool over the existing osm website that makes this query easily. But, if a tool exists I am not sure of the requirement of the proposed project. What do you think?

I think that the tools to do the technical stuff already exist, generally speaking. Where there are gaps it’s in the areas of (a) documentation (although https://osm2pgsql.org/ is light-years ahead of what there was before) or (b) “providing a web front-end as a service for people to do things with”.

With regard to (b) anything too broad in coverage would be well out of scope for a GSoC project. What might be useful would be finding a subset of “interesting problems” that can’t be answered by an Overpass query and which aren’t already documented examples from either the osm2pgsql or postgresql / postgis documentation. The sort of things I’ve had a need for have included checking for path breakage and multipolygon breakage.

@SomeoneElse Thank you so much for the detailed info, really appreciate it.
I went through the links you mentioned that require working. As I don’t have any previous experience or haven’t used them in past, I’ll go ahead with contributing to the existing projects on the GSoC page of OSM website.

Hiten