UK Quarterly Project 2024 Q4: Pedestrian Crossings

I believe that these are often pelican/puffin/toucan crossings, but not always.

Yes, it is possible. We have a few of these in London where the junction is controlled by traffic signals and the crossing has dropped kerbs, tactile paving and dots across the carriageway. There is no button and there are no pedestrian signals, so you have to look at the traffic lights to determine when it is safe to cross. This is where the proposed crossing:signals=shared might be useful.

The nearest example to me is Fairfield Road E3 at its junction with Bow Road Bing street side imagery

1 Like

As an aside, why does the streetside imagery for the UK somehow look like itā€™s from scans of photos taken in the early 90ā€™s?

1 Like

It not possible for a junction to have pedestrian green man signals, and no call button. The call button ā€œboxā€ also provides crossing information for visually impaired pedestrians by means of the spinning cone under the box. (Though Local Highways Authorities will routinely break rules)

If a junction has several phases of traffic, is is possible to have call button box where the button has no effect on the traffic phases.

It is common in the UK for there to be junctions, especially T-junctions, where road traffic is controlled by signals, but there are no signals for pedestrians.
This junction is a

• ā€œSignal-controlled junctionā€ for vehicles, and
  • "Uncontrolled crossing" for pedestrians.

Many (most?) drivers misunderstand the rules regarding green/red lights. The law creates a prohibition regarding crossing the White Line. You MUST NOT cross the White Line unless the light is green AND it safe to do so. Emphasis is given that you must not cross the white line if pedestrians are crossing within the junction. This means pedestrians have right of way at all times when crossing at junctions with light for vehicles, but no lights for pedestrians, but in practice drivers believe the green light gives them priority over pedestrians.

1 Like

This crossing for pedestrians is an ā€œUncontrolled crossingā€, which Iā€™ve talked about in my previous post. Itā€™s a good example of a junction where pedestrians always have priority due to the presence of a solid stop line for vehicles. And as I said there is a historical problem with drivers incorrectly believing a Green Light gives them priority through the junction.

1 Like

The traffic planners (probably TfL in this case) agree with you, as the tactile paving is buff rather than pink for the crossing I gave as an example.

That leads to another question: how do we tag this to tell pedestrian/VI/wheelchair routers that traffic flow through the junction is controlled by the traffic lights, but that the crossing itself has no traffic signals?

The historical problem with driver understanding is because the Driving Theory Test is based on rigorous application of Caucus Race standards.