Type of stone in surface (`surface=granite` and similar)

In plain English, ā€œmaterialā€ would tend to refer to something manufactured, like glass or plastic or brick, while ā€œsubstanceā€ would tend to refer to something more raw, like limestone or wet cement. But material and substance already have more specialized meanings in OSM anyways.

I suspect these tags would still creep in because mappers in some cases would be more familiar with the kind of rock than with the way itā€™s laid. For example, the floor of a highway=corridor may be surfaced in slabs of polished marble. A mapper might regard that as a distinct surface because itā€™s so slippery. But if a subkey is more correct, the mapper may not discover it on their own without a helpful editor field.

@Minh_Nguyen You are probably the right mind to have answers for a broader subject than creating wiki pages mostly just to deprecate tags: This topic here reminds me of another one I took part of the discussion. I had the idea, to make possible some kind of autodiscovery for consumers of data by chaining in key/value pairs.

I guess, that has inspired me to tag surface=rock; rock=granite for the scramble linked above. When a consumer reads key=value, it can look, if there is a key with the same name as the value, and use it to learn further details. Is that comprehensible?

When there is a path with surface=rock; material=granite, how to know, that the material applies to the surface? It might instead apply to the handrail/whatever other attributes there are?

Yes, a human who looks at the raw tags and sees this combination would know exactly what you mean. I think editing/rendering/routing software would be unlikely to do this kind of traversal automatically for any arbitrary value. For one thing, it could lead to some pretty unexpected results in other ambiguous cases:

• building=school amenity=school school=secondary (Built as a secondary school or now functioning as one?)
  • building:material=rock wall:material=rock rock=granite (Just one, or both?)

We normally cope with these conflicts by documenting when iterative refinement is expected, but not by expecting it to occur universally. I guess this is similar to the challenge with using unrelated keys like surface and material together. The most predictable version of iterative refinement relies on subkeys, like surface=granite surface:fragment_size=* etc. (Iā€™m making this up.)

Anyways, my point is that surface=granite most likely refers to different things depending on the kind of feature. A granite-surfaced highway=corridor is very likely to be surface=paving_stones (which luckily comes with several subkeys), but the common term for that would be ā€œgranite surface platesā€ or just ā€œgranite surfacingā€. Since granite is such a durable material, the slabs can get as large as concrete plates (concrete:plates), but the tagging is so different that users may not know about these options.

Like others here, Iā€™m not very concerned about determining the mineral composition of a crushed rock surface.

1 Like

I think that touches on something, that concerns OSM tagging a lot: Some tags are introduced by people that care about a certain aspect, from a particular position, and later get used by people, that do not care about that aspect, having no connection to the POV of the tag creators.

Some might wonder, why Yosemite granite looks so much different than LĆ¼sener Fernerkogel granite? (Fernerkogel is surface=rock;rock=gneiss;gneiss=granite; while Yosemite has surface=rock;rock=granite)

In the end, its all gravel? The challenge to replace paved/unpaved with something more specific a lost endeavour?

PS: How about surface=paved;paved=rock;rock=granite vs. surface=unpaved;unpaved=rock;rock=granite?

1 Like

I would not go so far - even if pebblestone/gravel differentiation that someone attempted failed there is still reliable distinction (I hope) between sand and compacted

1 Like

Well taken, but surface=rock says nothing about whether it is paved or unpaved rock. Of course, there are the keys tracktype|smoothness :wink: but how reliable is that?

How can raw natural rock be unpaved? Or paved for that matter? Why it would even matter?

(unless it is joke, then sorry for not getting it)

raw natural rock is ā€œunpavedā€ I think, because it is not paved (nobody has paved it).

Let me try to find out why the confusion: It might be on my side!

surface=rock; material=granite is always natural/unpaved
surface=*stone; material=granite is always manufactured/paved

So, if it is paved, rock turns into stone. Sorry for the noise!

PS: Still words like

Natural rock, with nearly no processing used to pave a mountainous path. [Tag:surface=rock - OpenStreetMap Wiki]

do not help against confusions like mine.

ops

I guess one more reason to get surface=bare_rock and surface=unhewn_stone

I have some stairs with blocks of solid granite. What would you put in for surface=* - rock?

What kind of granite? Can you upload or link a photo?

Machined into flat pieces of stone? surface=paving_stones

Roughly cut? surface=sett

Uncut pieces of rock? surface=unhewn_cobblestone

Natural rock, maybe with some minimal cutting/shaping? surface=rock

This is what it looks like. No idea what type of granite that is,

I would use paving_stones (and treat them as large rectangular paving stones made of a natural stone)

2 Likes

In my mind, paving_stones requires multiple blocks arranged in some kind of pattern. If the entire surface is made from a single piece, that value doesnā€™t fit.

2 Likes

Think to have come across something that was called concrete slabs or plates, so went to search. Well openstreetmap+slabs and one of the top results in bing was Tag:surface=paving_stones - OpenStreetMap Wiki although ā€˜slabsā€™ is not mentioned once in that wiki page.

With paving_ā€˜stonesā€™ I think (dare I) of a format that can be easily handled by one so we certainly could do with a paving_slabs or paving_plates to express that dimension as seen above of the polished stone steps.

Not an expert, but I would say slabs is just another word for paving stones (though often made from concrete).

These are steps I would tag as paving_stones:

The ones Nadjita showed are just surface=stone to me. Not available on StreetComplete so I donā€™t answer the quest. paving_stones feels wrong

1 Like

I also wonder, why we have material=* and paving_stone:material=*. Why should I use something like paving_stone:material=concrete over material=concrete?

In theory, these steps donā€™t have a separate surface, as they are just a big chunk if granite, so material=granite would be correct. But after looking at this more closer, it seems that material and surface have a lot of overlapping which makes it confusing. Actually, the surface should better describe the structure of the surface than the material, unless the material of the surface differs from the main material. So something like surface=flat for my case, paired with material=granite? I find this all very confusing.

Iā€™m guessing because proponents wanted all paving_stone:* subtags to neatly fit under same hierarchy?

But after looking at this more closer, it seems that material and surface have a lot of overlapping which makes it confusing

Yes. But you could have steps made from granite, while the surface is for example anti-slip rubber. Or a bridge with metal construction but with wooden planks, etc.

But I do think paving_stones people are taking that details mapping somewhat to the extreme (Iā€™m not making those up):

• surface=paving_stones
  • paving_stones:shape=squarish_octagon
  • paving_stones:pattern=interleaved
  • paving_stones:length=20
  • paving_stones:width=25
  • paving_stones:colour=#56544c
  • paving_stones:orientation=45
  • paving_stones:material=granite

But I guess, whatever makes people happy is good :smiling_face:
But now I want 3D renderer which will take all those into account!

Entire steps are still made from multiple pieces.

And how would you tag narrow steps, with each step made out of single square paving stone piece?

1 Like