Translation of thread title

What and who is affected by this issue/request?

Everybody

Where on the platform does it happen?

Every thread

How do we replicate the issue?

Use translate-icon on first/initial posting of a thread.

Expected behavior (i.e. solution)

It would be nice if the title / subject of the thread would be also translated when translating the first post. Currently only the text is translated.

Other Comments

7 Likes

Improvements to Discourse Translator plugin can be created here for their authors to consider:

Feature Request: Topic Title Translation - #11 by angus - feature - Discourse Meta
โ†’ Topic title translations by angusmcleod ยท Pull Request #79 ยท discourse/discourse-translator ยท GitHub

I donโ€™t know if this means that the feature is available or not. Can someone please clarify?

2 Likes

It would be very useful, quite often the topics are very dependent on te subject (title) of the thread, e.g. last example Kennt jemand die Nummer von diesem Schild?

I tried asking in that closed github PR, but got no reply, so Iโ€™d guess it was not implement afterall (as that PR was closed, not merged) :cry:

2 Likes

It would be useful to have the ability to create posts in multiple languages to lower the barrier between languages within OSM.
For example, if someone writes a post in a particular language, someone who speaks another language will be able to translate and paste the post, and someone who reads the post will be able to see the post in their language of choice.
This would allow a single piece of content to be shared more widely and easily with users of each language.

Do you think this is possible in โ€˜Discourseโ€™?

reference link : Regarding regional categories hindering unified communicationโ€ฆ(์ง€์—ญ ์นดํ…Œ๊ณ ๋ฆฌ๊ฐ€ ํ†ตํ•ฉ๋œ ์†Œํ†ต์„ ๋ฐฉํ•ดํ•˜๋Š” ๋ฌธ์ œ์— ๋Œ€ํ•˜์—ฌโ€ฆ)

ํ˜น์‹œ 'Discourseโ€™์— ๋‹ค๊ตญ์–ด ๊ฒŒ์‹œ๋ฌผ ์ž‘์„ฑ ๊ธฐ๋Šฅ์€ ์—†์Šต๋‹ˆ๊นŒ?

2 Likes

Iโ€™m guessing that the answer is โ€œnoโ€, but I havenโ€™t checked all the documentation myself.

Original (German):

Mal ein Schuss ins Blaue: Englisch ist die Sprache, die die meisten hier sprechen und auch die Sprache, die von รœbersetzungsprogrammen am besten unterstรผtzt wird. Wรผrde es nicht reichen, eine Option zu haben, einen Beitrag automatisch ins Englische รผbersetzen zu lassen? Ich nutze dafรผr vor allem ChatGPT, weil es gerade bei OpenStreetMap nicht alles รผbersetzt. DeepL hingegen รผbersetzt immer wieder mal auch Taggings wie amenity=bench, was ich als stรถrend empfinde. Wenn ich wirklich keine Ahnung habe, hat es noch immer gut funktioniert. So wie dieser Text hier - hoffentlich.

English translation:

Just a shot in the dark: English is the language that most people here speak and also the language that is best supported by translation programs. Wouldnโ€™t it be enough to have an option to automatically translate a post into English? I mainly use ChatGPT for this, especially because it doesnโ€™t translate everything in context, particularly when it comes to OpenStreetMap. However, DeepL sometimes translates taggings like amenity=bench, which I find annoying. If I really have no idea, it has still worked well. Like this text here - hopefully.

Korean translation:

์–ด๋‘  ์†์—์„œ ํ•œ ๋ฐœ์ง ๋” ๋‚˜์•„๊ฐ€ ๋ณด์ž๋ฉด: ์ด ๊ณณ์—์„œ ๋Œ€๋ถ€๋ถ„์˜ ์‚ฌ๋žŒ๋“ค์ด ์‚ฌ์šฉํ•˜๋Š” ์–ธ์–ด๋Š” ์˜์–ด์ด๋ฉฐ, ๋ฒˆ์—ญ ํ”„๋กœ๊ทธ๋žจ์—์„œ ๊ฐ€์žฅ ์ž˜ ์ง€์›๋˜๋Š” ์–ธ์–ด์ž…๋‹ˆ๋‹ค. ์ž๋™์œผ๋กœ ๊ฒŒ์‹œ๋ฌผ์„ ์˜์–ด๋กœ ๋ฒˆ์—ญํ•˜๋Š” ์˜ต์…˜์ด ์žˆ์œผ๋ฉด ์ถฉ๋ถ„ํ•˜์ง€ ์•Š์„๊นŒ์š”? ์ œ๊ฐ€ ์ฃผ๋กœ ์‚ฌ์šฉํ•˜๋Š” ๊ฒƒ์€ ChatGPT์ธ๋ฐ, ํŠนํžˆ OpenStreetMap์—์„œ ๋ชจ๋“  ๊ฒƒ์„ ๋ฒˆ์—ญํ•˜์ง€๋Š” ์•Š๊ธฐ ๋•Œ๋ฌธ์ž…๋‹ˆ๋‹ค. ๊ทธ๋Ÿฌ๋‚˜ DeepL์€ ๋•Œ๋กœ๋Š” 'amenity=benchโ€™์™€ ๊ฐ™์€ ํƒœ๊ทธ๋„ ๋ฒˆ์—ญํ•˜๊ธฐ ๋•Œ๋ฌธ์— ์งœ์ฆ์Šค๋Ÿฌ์šธ ๋•Œ๊ฐ€ ์žˆ์Šต๋‹ˆ๋‹ค. ์ •๋ง ๋ชจ๋ฅด๋Š” ๊ฒฝ์šฐ์—๋Š” ์—ฌ์ „ํžˆ ์ž˜ ์ž‘๋™ํ–ˆ์Šต๋‹ˆ๋‹ค. ์ด ํ…์ŠคํŠธ์ฒ˜๋Ÿผ - ์•„๋งˆ๋„.

Mind you, I have no clue about Korean, so I hope I didnโ€™t insult your family or threaten anyone :grin:

If youโ€™re logged in thereโ€™s already a translate (:globe_with_meridians:) button. Is that not enough?

2 Likes

๋งŒ์•ฝ โ€˜์˜คํ”ˆ์ŠคํŠธ๋ฆฌํŠธ๋งตโ€™ ์ปค๋ฎค๋‹ˆํ‹ฐ์— ์—ฌ๋Ÿฌ ์–ธ์–ด๋กœ ๊ฒŒ์‹œ๋ฌผ์„ ์ž‘์„ฑํ•  ์ˆ˜ ์žˆ๋Š” ๊ธฐ๋Šฅ์ด ์žˆ๋‹ค๋ฉด, ๋ฒˆ์—ญ๋ณด๋‹ค๋Š” ์ข€๋” ๋œป์— ์ง‘์ค‘ํ•œ ์˜์—ญ๋„ ํ•  ์ˆ˜ ์žˆ์„ ๊ฒƒ์ด๊ณ , ์–ธ์–ด๊ถŒ์„ ๋„˜์–ด์„œ์„œ ์„œ๋กœ ๊ณต์œ ๊ฐ€ ๋˜์–ด์•ผ ํ•˜๋Š” ์ฃผ์ œ์— ๋Œ€ํ•ด์„œ๋Š” ๋ฒˆ์—ญ๋ณด๋‹ค๋Š” ์ข€๋” ์˜๋ฏธ๋ฅผ ์ „๋‹ฌํ•˜๊ธฐ ์‰ฌ์›Œ์„œ ์–ธ์–ด๊ถŒ์„ ๋„˜์–ด์„œ์„œ ์ •๋ณด๊ฐ€ ๊ณต์œ ๋˜๊ธฐ๊ฐ€ ์‰ฌ์šธ ๊ฒƒ์ž…๋‹ˆ๋‹ค.
์ด๋Ÿฐ ๊ธฐ๋Šฅ์ด ์–ด๋–ค ๊ฒฝ์šฐ์— ์“ฐ์ผ ์ˆ˜ ์žˆ๋Š”์ง€๋Š” ์•„๋ž˜ '์ฐธ๊ณ  ๋งํฌโ€™๋ฅผ ๋ด ์ฃผ์‹œ๊ธฐ ๋ฐ”๋ž๋‹ˆ๋‹ค.

Osm ์ปค๋ฎค๋‹ˆํ‹ฐ์˜ ๋ชจ๋“  ์นดํ…Œ๊ณ ๋ฆฌ์— ์“ฐ๋Š” ๊ฒƒ์ด ์•„๋‹ˆ๋ผ ํŠน์ • ์นดํ…Œ๊ณ ๋ฆฌ๋ฅผ ๋งŒ๋“ค๊ณ  ๊ทธ ์นดํ…Œ๊ณ ๋ฆฌ์—๋Š” ์–ธ์–ด๊ถŒ์„ ๋„˜์–ด์„œ ๊ณต์œ ๋˜์–ด์•ผ ํ•  ๋‚ด์šฉ์„ ์š”์•ฝ, ์ •๋ฆฌํ•ด์„œ ๊ฒŒ์‹œ๋ฅผ ํ•˜๋ฉด ๋‹ค๋ฅธ ์–ธ์–ด๊ถŒ์˜ ๊ธฐ์—ฌ์ž๊ฐ€ ๋ฒˆ์—ญ์„ ํ•ด์„œ ์„œ๋กœ ๊ณต์œ ๋ฅผ ํ•  ์ˆ˜ ์žˆ์„ ๊ฒƒ์ž…๋‹ˆ๋‹ค.
์ด๊ฒƒ์€ ์˜์–ด๊ถŒ ๊ธฐ์—ฌ์ž๋“ค์ด ์˜์–ด๋กœ ๋…ผ์˜ํ•˜๊ณ  ํ•ฉ์˜ํ•œ ๋‚ด์šฉ ๋ฟ๋งŒ ์•„๋‹ˆ๋ผ ๋น„์˜์–ด๊ถŒ ๊ธฐ์—ฌ์ž๋“ค์ด ๊ทธ ์–ธ์–ด๋กœ ๋…ผ์˜ํ•˜๊ณ  ํ•ฉ์˜ํ•œ ๋‚ด์šฉ์„ ์˜์–ด๊ถŒ๊ณผ ๊ทธ ๋ฐ–์˜ ์–ธ์–ด๊ถŒ ๊ธฐ์—ฌ์ž๋“ค๊ณผ ๊ณต์œ ํ•˜๋Š” ๋ฐ์— ์œ ์šฉํ•  ๊ฒƒ์ž…๋‹ˆ๋‹ค.

There are three main problems with that:

1. Only supports certain languages
  2. Does not translate titles
  3. Canโ€™t translate a page at a time.

Note that because of the fundamental design of discourse, the normal standard web translators just do not work. Itโ€™s a fundamentally anti-web, anti-internet and anti-collaborative design - there is no such thing as a static page and you canโ€™t interact with it using normal web tools.

1 Like

I would love to be able to read the โ€œhome pageโ€ / list of new topics in English, as they can currently only be seen in the language that they were written in, but they could be relating to something that Iโ€™m deeply interested in?

e.g. from this morning: " Umfrage: Neuer Name fรผr den OSM-Samstag?" or โ€œ์ง€์—ญ ์‚ฌ๋ž‘๋ฐฉ์˜ ๋ฒฝ์„ ๋„˜์„ ์ˆ˜ ์žˆ๋Š” ๋ฐฉ์•ˆ์— ๋Œ€ํ•˜์—ฌ - ๋ฒ”์ง€์—ญ์ ์ธ ๋…ผ์˜๋ฅผ ์œ„ํ•˜์—ฌโ€

Sure, thereโ€™s subtags included to (partially) describe what the thread is about, but " ํ•œ๊ตญ/์กฐ์„  (Korea)

๋น„์˜์–ด๊ถŒ ์˜์–ด๊ถŒ ์ง€์—ญ์ปค๋ฎค๋‹ˆํ‹ฐ ์ง€์—ญ์‚ฌ๋ž‘๋ฐฉ" doesnโ€™t help an awful lot! :thinking:

3 Likes

Translators canโ€™t keep up with human translation skills, at least not yet.(Of course, it depends on the level of human translation skillsโ€ฆ)
Human translations can also include paraphrasing and additional explanations.(After relying primarily on the translatorโ€™s translation)
This can be very helpful in explaining different cultures and understanding the mindset of different cultures.
And most importantly, it would give a lot of people who would otherwise give up on accessing discussions in different languages a chance to access discussions in different languages.
At the very least, if someone can at least understand the title, itโ€™s easier for them to decide if the post is something theyโ€™re interested in.
Keep in mind that many people in non-English speaking countries donโ€™t understand English well enough to use a translator.
I think what we desperately need right now is an effort to understand different cultures.

Multilingual Plugin

์ ์–ด๋„ ์•„์ง๊นŒ์ง€๋Š” ๋ฒˆ์—ญ๊ธฐ์˜ ๋ฒˆ์—ญ ์‹ค๋ ฅ์ด ์‚ฌ๋žŒ์˜ ๋ฒˆ์—ญ ์‹ค๋ ฅ์„ ๋”ฐ๋ผ์˜ค์ง€ ๋ชปํ•ฉ๋‹ˆ๋‹ค.(๋ฌผ๋ก  ์‚ฌ๋žŒ์˜ ๋ฒˆ์—ญ์‹ค๋ ฅ์˜ ์ˆ˜์ค€์— ๋”ฐ๋กœ ์ข€ ๋‹ค๋ฅด๊ฒ ์ง€๋งŒโ€ฆ)
(๋ฒˆ์—ญ๊ธฐ์˜ ๋ฒˆ์—ญ์— 1์ฐจ ์˜์กด์„ ํ•˜๊ณ )๊ทธ๋ฆฌ๊ณ  ์‚ฌ๋žŒ์˜ ๋ฒˆ์—ญ์—๋Š” ์˜์—ญ์ด๋‚˜ ์ถ”๊ฐ€ ์„ค๋ช…์„ ํ•  ์ˆ˜๋„ ์žˆ์Šต๋‹ˆ๋‹ค.
์ด๊ฒƒ์€ ์„œ๋กœ ๋‹ค๋ฅธ ๋ฌธํ™”๋ฅผ ์„ค๋ช…ํ•˜๊ณ  ์„œ๋กœ ๋‹ค๋ฅธ ๋ฌธํ™”์˜ ์‚ฌ๊ณ ๋ฐฉ์‹์„ ์ดํ•ดํ•˜๋Š” ๋ฐ์— ํฐ ๋„์›€์ด ๋  ๊ฒƒ์ž…๋‹ˆ๋‹ค.
๊ทธ๋ฆฌ๊ณ  ๋ฌด์—‡๋ณด๋‹ค๋„ ์ค‘์š”ํ•œ ๊ฒƒ์€, ์„œ๋กœ ๋‹ค๋ฅธ ์–ธ์–ด๊ถŒ์˜ ๋…ผ์˜์— ์ ‘๊ทผํ•˜๋Š” ๊ฒƒ์„ ์•„์˜ˆ ํฌ๊ธฐํ•˜๊ฒŒ ๋˜๋Š” ๋งŽ์€ ์‚ฌ๋žŒ๋“ค์—๊ฒŒ ์„œ๋กœ ๋‹ค๋ฅธ ์–ธ์–ด๊ถŒ์˜ ๋…ผ์˜์— ์ ‘๊ทผํ•  ์ˆ˜ ์žˆ๋Š” ๊ธฐํšŒ๋ฅผ ์ค„ ๊ฒƒ์ž…๋‹ˆ๋‹ค.
ํ•˜๋‹ค ๋ชปํ•ด, ์ ์–ด๋„ ์ œ๋ชฉ ๋งŒ์ด๋ผ๋„ ์ดํ•ดํ•  ์ˆ˜ ์žˆ๋‹ค๋ฉด ๊ทธ ๊ธ€์ด ์ž์‹ ์ด ๊ด€์‹ฌ์„ ๊ฐ€์งˆ ๋งŒํ•œ ๊ธ€์ธ์ง€ ํŒ๋‹จํ•˜๊ธฐ ์‰ฌ์šธ ๊ฒƒ์ž…๋‹ˆ๋‹ค.
๋น„์˜์–ด๊ถŒ์— ์‚ฌ๋Š” ๋งŽ์€ ์‚ฌ๋žŒ๋“ค์€ ๋ฒˆ์—ญ๊ธฐ์˜ ๋„์›€์„ ๋ฐ›๊ณ ์„œ๋„ ์˜์–ด๋ฅผ ์ œ๋Œ€๋กœ ์ดํ•ดํ•  ์ˆ˜ ์žˆ๋Š” ์‚ฌ๋žŒ์ด ๋งŽ์ง€ ์•Š๋‹ค๋Š” ๊ฒƒ์„ ํ—ค์•„๋ ค ์ฃผ์‹ญ์‹œ์˜ค.
์ง€๊ธˆ ์šฐ๋ฆฌ์—๊ฒŒ ์ ˆ์‹คํ•œ ๊ฒƒ์€ ๋ฐ”๋กœ ์„œ๋กœ ๋‹ค๋ฅธ ๋ฌธํ™”๊ถŒ์„ ์ดํ•ดํ•˜๋ ค๋Š” ๋…ธ๋ ฅ์ด ์•„๋‹๊นŒ ์ƒ๊ฐํ•ฉ๋‹ˆ๋‹ค.

2 Likes

Sometimes messages are posted with message titles in a language I donโ€™t understand. For example some German threads in the Help and support category.

Is possible to switch on a language translate function, so the titles can be translated to the selected GUI-language?

2 Likes
1 Like

Asked the same question last week: By any chance, does 'Discourse' not have the ability to create multilingual posts?(์—ฌ๋Ÿฌ ์–ธ์–ด ๊ฒŒ์‹œ๋ฌผ ์ž‘์„ฑ ๊ธฐ๋Šฅ) - #3, but no response there.

Discourse pages now seem compatible with Google Translate, so for example https://translate.google.ca/?sl=en&tl=de&text=https%3A%2F%2Fcommunity.openstreetmap.org%2Ft%2Ftagging-help-for-osmose-error-untagged-named-object%2F99233%2F11&op=translate now works as is. Obviously thatโ€™s just an anonymous view of the page, so you canโ€™t reply from there, but itโ€™s much less clumsy to use than Discourseโ€™s built in one-post-at-a-time-but-not-the-thread titles translation.

Iโ€™ve no idea whether this was a change at Discourse or at Google, or when (it might have been working for ages and I havenโ€™t tried it).

I donโ€™t think I wrote anything here, but I donโ€™t know why itโ€™s stuck here.
Anyway, I will give an analogy to say that I want the title to be translated or manually paraphrased.

Assuming that there are many English rooms, and a person who speaks good English can see through the walls of those rooms, but a non-English speaker doesnโ€™t have the ability to see through the walls, then the non-English speaker would have to open the doors of all those rooms to see the condition of all those rooms.
Wishing that only the title could be translated is like wishing that there was at least a signboard indicating the condition of the room in front of the room.

(Iโ€™m not sure my machine translation conveys the meaning exactly).
P.s. And the Bing translation sucks. At least when it comes to Korean translationsโ€ฆ

Iโ€™m a double-major in Computer Science and Applied Linguistics from the University of California.

Very simply (I want to keep it simple), โ€œall-languages-to-all-languagesโ€ or what might be known as โ€œperfect universal translationโ€ remains a dream into the future. However, Iโ€™ve personally seen (over the last four decades of this evolving, working at Apple and Adobeโ€ฆ) that โ€œthis gets better.โ€ There is an amazing complexity of in-browser translations available, language translation as server-side โ€œbuttonsโ€ (as we have our โ€œglobe iconโ€ here) and so much more (DeepL, Google Translate, moreโ€ฆ). โ€œMaking things correct in all languages for everyoneโ€ is something that is a long-term goal, and while we are on our way, there is far to go.

Iโ€™ve noted some goofy translations here, machine natural language translation is not perfect science.

Nobody should feel their specific question (about a particular instance of translation or multilingual text supportโ€ฆ) is getting ignored, as many questions are good and deserve answers. Everybody should be aware of the โ€œlong chainโ€ of what it takes to get you to read or see โ€œsomethingโ€ (in a given context, maybe with a certain browser, manifested by a particular operating system, using a peculiarly-specific graphics/GPU environment, with the fonts which are loaded, with language preferences at many levels set in certain waysโ€ฆ) and so on and so forth, in a particular language. We humans speaking our languages and our advancing (tech, web, commโ€ฆ) technology are indeed making progress. But we remain some distance from everything working everywhere for everyone, reliably.

Please, ask specific questions and quench your thirst to see things as you wish to see them. Yet, also know it is work for everybody to do so โ€” a โ€œtall reach,โ€ yes, so we are working on it, and making progress. Iโ€™m encouraged by growth Iโ€™ve seen of OSMโ€™s multilingual support, and while it remains with its difficulties that we humans are so multilingual, it does get incrementally better around here.

@adreamy, I know exactly what you mean!

1 Like

There seems to be some basic topic translation (only title of translated article, not whole translated forum list) accepted upstream: Feature Request: Topic Title Translation - #13 by kris.kotlarek - feature - Discourse Meta so hopefully when released could be used on OSM Discourse too!

2 Likes

THANKYOU! :smiley: :kissing_heart: :sunglasses:

2 Likes