Translate plugin icon

das ist auf jeden Fall besser, ein unklares Icon kann man mit Text nicht fixen :slight_smile:

wobei man sich an alles gewöhnt

1 Like

I do not think this would be a real problem. Unregistered users just “having a look” do not have access to the translation feature and I think this is absolutely ok considering the costs depending on the number of translations done.

Registered users however will get used to that icon within no time. From that point of view no need to change the icon imho.

Ja, mit dem Wikipedia-Icon ist die Übersetzungsfunktion fĂŒr neue Benutzer intuitiv sicher leichter erkennbar.

Allerdings wird das :globe_with_meridians: Icon auch bei Übersetzungen innerhalb von BeitrĂ€gen verwendet.

z.B. hier: About the :heavy_plus_sign: New category requests category - This Site Feedback / :heavy_plus_sign: New category requests - OpenStreetMap Community

Ich denke es wĂ€re gut, nur ein Icon in Zusammenhang mit Übersetzungen zu verwenden, um MissverstĂ€ndnisse zu vermeiden. Wenn sich das leicht konfigurieren lĂ€sst, könnte das auch das Wikipedia-Icon sein.

1 Like

Das kann ich nicht bestĂ€tigen. Vielleicht fĂŒr Menschen, die dieses Symbol in Wikipedia nutzen. Ich nicht. Ich habe erst in dieser Diskussion gelernt, was es bedeutet.

+1
volle Zustimmung. Ich muss es regelmĂ€ĂŸig nutzen und denke da auch nicht mehr darĂŒber nach.

Der Globus ist schon eine gute Wahl. Das steht dann gleichzeitig dafĂŒr, dass der Horizont nicht am Tellerrand liegt.

1 Like

Translated from de by Microsoft

The globe is already a good choice. At the same time, this stands for the fact that the horizon is not at the edge of the plate.

I have to imagine this must be an overly literal translation :grinning:. What is the full meaning of “der Horizont nicht am Tellerrand liegt”?

es ist wirklich der sprichwörtliche Tellerrand gemeint. :slight_smile:

it means the same as saying in english: “thinking outside the box” or “see beyond the end of your nose”

1 Like

I thought it might mean something like this, but wasn’t sure. Great phrase. Thank you!

the fun part is that it is alluding to the flat earth “theory”

Just out of curiosity, I let bing retranslate its translation. Not only does it miss the proverbial language, it also misses colloquial language: “schon” is not a temporal adverb in this sentence.

This does not answer though:

Why is the post of ezekielf hidden? I cannot see, who flagged it?

Should topic titles in lists be translatable too? Like Nop proposed.

Why is the post of ezekielf hidden? I cannot see, who flagged it?

I flagged it as “off topic” because I wanted to suggest to branch this discussion into an own topic. Not sure how this works in Discourse. Apparently a flagged post is hidden immediately until a mod decides what to do with the flagging(?)
I am not even sure if Discourse allows (mods) to branch off discussions.

Should topic titles in lists be translatable too? Like Nop proposed.

There is no reason why they shouldn’t. It is simply not implemented in that plugin we are using.
The plugin is not really actively developed, but maybe if someone fluent in Ruby created a PR, it would be merged.

I’ve moved the whole conversation about the icon to a separate topic under site requests :slight_smile:

Edit: Now also including previous messages about this icon, sorry for the noise.

1 Like

Cool. Is it possible to un-hide the post too?

What is the best/intended workflow for (requesting to) branch off a discussion into an own topic?

1 Like

I think the original one is purged by the system after 24hrs.

Just flagging a post as “Notify moderators” you can type what you need, in this case suggest a split or merge :slight_smile:

Das Übersetzungprogramm ist eine super Sache. Aber warum muss ich fĂŒr jeden einzelnen Beitrag eines Themas auf die Weltkugel drĂŒcken? Das macht das textuelle Suchen durch den Browser unmöglich. Warum geht man nicht den umgekehrten Weg, und ĂŒbersetzt grundsĂ€tzlich in die persönlich Sprache (wenn gewĂŒnscht) und nur bei Bedarf in die originale Sprache? Oder warum ĂŒbersetzt man nicht alle BeitrĂ€ge eines Themas, wenn man einmal auf den Button klickt?

Viele GrĂŒĂŸe aus Deutschland
Uwe

New feature requests and improvements of the translate plugin are discussed upstream here:

Oh nee, noch ein Forum bei dem ich mich registrieren soll !! :roll_eyes:
Nee, dass muss nicht sein. Ich verliere langsam den Überblick, wo ich mittlerweile ĂŒberall registriert bin. Dann bleibt es halt so wie es ist. :pensive:

I’m sorry for that, but nobody here is maintaining or coding the plugin, this is done by the Discourse team.

That’s why it’s going to be more effective to raise bugs or requests with them directly in order to be considered.

Ok, danke :checkered_flag:

Meldung: Hauptteil ist zu kurz (Minimum sind 20 Zeichen)
Jetzt nicht mehr :robot: