Transferring TYP files to a Garmin GPS

Hi folks

I’ve tried to find this info in the forums and wiki with no success so I’m hoping that someone here might be able to help. Can anyone tell me if the correct way to transfer a TYP file to a Garmin Edge is just to drop it in the Garmin folder on the Edge with the device connected as a USB drive (ie. the same place you drop the gmapsupp.img file). I have the Product and Family IDs the same as the map but I don’t know if there is anything else that needs to be done e.g. does the file need to be named in a specific way. …or maybe I’m just misunderstanding how the TYP file works - as far as I understand it can be used to override the standard way that the Garmin devices draws items such as lines and POIs

thanks

I’m not into TYP files at all, but afaik you must add that file into the gmapsupp.img…

It looks like you’re correct. I couldn’t merge the typ file in using mkgmap but sendmap20 does it nicely.

I haven’t used the typ files up to now but I just wanted to use them so tidy up some of the track type names and colours when I map cycle routes onto different garmin track types

Thanks again :smiley:

Well, if there is a really good TYP file for generic GPS usage then I am willing to try to put it into my maps by default (or make it selectable).

Maybe you can have a look at this one (Dutch site): http://garminetrex.wikispaces.com/Typfiles
For general purposes it looks good to me.

I am looking forward to that!

If you want to add the TYP file with mkgmap you just have to know the family id of the TYP file and make sure that it is named with an
upper case TYP extension.

Then use the --family-id=909 argument to mkgmap, replacing 909 with the actual family id that the TYP file belongs to.

Thanks for that acousticnewt. However I still think that I am missing something. I have created the TYP file (online editor) with a family ID (125) and then added --family-idf=12 to my mkgmap command line. The gmapsupp.img file is created but I don’t see the customisation I’ve put in the TYP file. Do I either need to tell mkgmap the name of file or put the file in a particular place? There must be something simple here that I am missing

tx

A big thanks for that Lambertus - that was the missing step

I’d tried that early on but I guess that I must have been caught either by the family-id or the capital letters. It’s all working great now.

Best wishes

I don’t know if this thread is still monitored, but I have a question. I’ve downloaded the Lambertus OSM maps from http://garmin.na1400.info/routable.php into my Edge 705 and they are wonderful for the MTB trails in my area. The one thing I would like to be able to do is to add a custom TYP file to the downloaded IMG files to display in my Edge as well as in Mapsource to make singletrack and other features more visible. However, I cannot figure out how to do this. Does anyone have a step by step process to do this? That would be the last best thing to make this the most awesome mapset ever.

Thanks for any info.
Rico

I haven’t done this, but I have a general idea of how you would do this using GPSmapedit and mkgmap.

You’ll need to download the source data for your area from OSM, and convert it to MP format using osm2mp.

Then using GPSmapedit you can set the Endlevel (Highest Level an object is visible =>lowest resolution level an object is visible) for your trails to 1 below the highest level in the map. (The highest level must not have any objects in it.) This will ensure that you trails will always be visible.

You can also use a TYP file to customize the appearance of the trail feature on the screen.

Compile with mkgmap.

Technically that sounds interesting, I may have to try and figure it out. Is there an IMG to MP conversion program? The issue is that the Lambertus maps, which I really like because they can do auto-routing are delivered in Garmin .IMG format so it sounds like it would have to be reversed back in order to work, unless I’m missing something. I have not worked with many of these tools at all, just a noob at this time trying to figure things out. I did figure out at one point how to convert .osm into .img format with mkgmap, but that was about it and that was confusing enough.
Rico

Would this be of any use: http://www.gwprojects.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=69 ?

It must be possible to add a TYP file to a custom map afterwards. No need to generate your own maps for that. Just search the web a bit, there is lots of info on this around.

I’m be happy to provide you with a “newbie guide” to making your own routable map with mkgmap and customising it with a TYP file. It’s actually not that hard, believe it or not!

Please do! I think more people would like to know this (and me too).

Well, Lambertus surely you must know the bit about mkgmap?! :wink:

I’ll write something up this weekend and post a link to it.

I have never looked closely at TYP files or how to define custom styles. I only use the default styles of Mkgmap.

I would love to use a simple guide to. There is a lot of information about doing things out there on the internet, but all of it seems either overly technical or assumes that the reader has some prior knowledge of things. If you get that done, it would be wonderful.

I’m also looking forward to cdsf’s tutorial. Meanwhile, TYP file rules are spelled out in the cgpsmapper manual.

The reason I mentioned compiling maps from the OSM data is that it gives the individual user the ability to customize the “Level” (MP) or “Resolution” (OSM) at which ways or other features appear on his own maps. A problem in the southwestern US is that an unpaved road 70 to 90 miles long can’t be seen in MapSource at a resolution above 1.5 miles. This makes it hard to browse the map.

It looks like an individual user could adjust his map by editing the style file “Resolution” to match, say, trunk highway. I know you can do it by setting the Endlevel in an MP file.