שמות ”דרכים“ בגני תקווה

Hello! I haven’t been here for a while (7 years!), but I recall there is a rule to omit the words Derech and Road from street names. In Ganey Tikva (and possibly other localities), however, some streets are named after actual ancient world trade routes (דרך המשי, דרך הים, דרך הבשמים וכו׳). So, for example, in speech I would say “Derech Hamelech Street” (רחוב דרך המלך) and would not consider it redundant. I also feel the following variations are incorrect: Hamelech, Hamelech Road, King’s Road (the correct translation would be King’s Highway Street).

The reason I am bringing this up is, my latest changeset introduces yet another one of those street names (דרך ההדרים — although it doesn’t seem like an ancient trade route name, but I may be wrong), and I would like to get it corrected. Would there be any objection to changing all the remaining street names in Ganey Tikva to add the word Derech where it is missing?

Hi and welcome back,
good question, there is a not very clear rule in the Israel Wiki, Naming section which only says:

It’s clear that “rehov” and “street” are useless, but “Road”, “Avenue”, “Boulevard” are absolutely part of the name and I always add them.
at the end - road signs are the source, if on most signs you see “Dereh…” - then, probably, it’s ok to make it part of the name for completeness. Of course, please don’t add “dereh/road” to all streets, only where sign post has it :slight_smile:

Regarding “King’s Highway Street” - I never saw such naming format. Is it common (in USA/UK, for example?)

P.S. if you don’t get enough feedback there, you can join our telegram channel (can find a link on https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/List_of_OSM_centric_Telegram_accounts))