The use of the "name" tag across Algeria

Hi #OSMAlgeria,

This subject got more then 18000 views and finally we came up with something new so that everyone can understand name tagging.

Our friends Algebre_gama and RS232 came up with an idea and installed temporary OSM tile server to show to everyone the importance of sub name:xx=* tagging.

Now I’m asking everyone to forget about the general tag name=* and focus with us.

If we tag right in :
name:ar
name:kab
name:ber
name:fr
name:en

then we can get the rendered map in the desired language.
We invite everyone to check this work :

Link 1 maps by language tag : https://justpaste.it/x6ql
Link 2 : https://justpaste.it/x6qx

What do you think ?
Salutations amicales.

I have no problem with that, and I’m already doing it.

But we shouldn’t forget about the general tag, because it’s important too.

Hi everybody,
In my opinion, osm is a universal map and should use a universal language in general name tag. The map of a country is not supposed to be browsed (only) by local users.
For example, in my case I will not use OSM to browse or integrate Russia or China map.
China Map
Now if a country or a local organisation want to use there local language(s) they can do it by generation there own tiles in there own local osm server (of course if the general names are translated in this language)
Cordialy

Hi, HiddenEyes,

Okay, after all the efforts we are doing it seems that some of us have a stone instead of a mind.

Ok So, make it sandwitch in your region. Not inside Bejaia boundary and don’t be surprised in the future when you’re going to revert everything to a standardised level of mapping.

I’m happy that you’re okay for name:xx tagging and you understand the power and the relevance of this tagging method but are you keeping the idea of “sandwitch non queryable no meaning name tagging” ?

Do you wanna make it render like Morocco Map ? Go and map there, simple as that.
Do you wanna make it render in arabic only ? Focus on name:ar, simple as that. If you want it in arabic only, because arabic language is a state language in Algeria, know that Tamazight or Berber in official too since 2016. To make it sandwitch, I’m against personally.

By making the general tag name a sandwitch, you mislead new contributors and they will not focus on enriching database with sub name:ar,kab,ber,en,fr

By naming Algiers, for example in arabic name=الجزائر only because arabic is official, you push other kabyle and berber contributors to come and revert in berber and Tamazight and you push GPS users and contributors to come and revert because of UTF-8 bizzare letters on a lot of apps. And you push sandwitch supporters to come and make name=sandwitch-non-meaning-in-database.

And finally, you push contributors to forget about clever tagging name:xx=specific-lang

Yes name=* is important and shows how wars in thirld world countries could start because of “characters, languages and culture” and how fragile they are (we are).

May be one day a Wikipedia like : ar.openstreetmap.org or whatever-fucking-language.openstreetmap.org if fucking Algeria Telecom or a fucking algerian university could donate servers to OpenStreetMap Foundation. For now, nothing ! And by the openness and universality of OSM, they offered us the possibily to make things possible without an Algeria Telecom and without any support from the algerian government who is spending money in dancing and singing. (Assuming responsability of my words as an algerian OSM contributor).

Anyway, happy mapping !

Let me quote my self here from my previous comment

So ButterflyOfFire_ count me +1 for that idea you mention.

I’m confident that may be the best way to carry on, till we get our selves (our people basically) to work as ants and not like spiders.

Hi,

Carte d’Algérie sans sandwitch (just tag it right) :

Carte d’Algérie en caractère arabe :

Carte d’Algérie en Tamazight (caractère latin) :

Carte d’Algérie en caractère Tifinagh :

All data source provided by OpenStreetMap and Contributors

• (name:ar=, name:kab=, name:ber=*)

Salutations amicales