The "OSM Standard tile layer" looks wrong (white lines, abusive comments etc.)

Yes there are eight render servers (two for the US) and innumerable CDN caches in front of that so everybody will have a different experience.

Everything is operating normally and all render servers are up to date but as we have been deliberately forcing them to treat old tiles as expired to clear any vandalism they are busier than normal and when busy will prioritise rendering missing tiles over re-rendering of dirty ones.

5 Likes

Btw., I could think of another method of blocking (or finding) such entries. Rather than by size: Such a superhighway would go over (or under?) large water bodies… (North Sea etc.) and across country borders. I know no road that would span countries. Even the famous Panamericana doesn’t. That is just a name (although very popular), but actually consists of several roads that connect to each other at the borders (or not, because Panamericana is not without gaps…) and within countries, the official name could be completely different to the name in the next bordering country.

The “OSM team” is all of us, the contributors, so I’m not sure what you are suggesting here?

23 Likes

Whenever a project, like OSM, that has existed for some time, has some blatantly obvious problems with blatantly obvious solutions that still have not been implemented, there are nearly always some not-no-obvious reasons why those solutions have not been implemented. Those reasons may be technical, legal, practical, cultural or a number of other things. In OSM, it is often a combination of culture and lack of central manpower. You say some things should only be done by the “OSM team”. There is no OSM Team. Or you could say that there is one and every person on the planet (and any E.T, should they care to show up) is on it.

For any mode of vandalism you can think of, there is probably some fairly simple rule that would stop that particular mode of vandalism. With a bit of luck, the rule won’t hamper legitimate mapping. However, there are infinitely many ways of vandalizing the map. To successfully protect the map, you need to think of them all. The vandal just needs to think of one.

One solution is to put central regulations on things. Make it so that only administrators can add names in new languages to countries, or move nodes across continents. The obvious problems with that solution are manpower and organization Who are these administrators supposed to be? There is also a technical problem: exactly what edits should be limited (see previous paragraph!). The not-so-obvious problem is culture. OSM has an idealistic background, and lot of OSM:ers are idealists. The “O” in OSM is important. It’s supposed to be the open map, that anyone can improve. Maybe these ideals are untenable in the modern world, but a lot of OSM:ers still prefer to believe that they can be upheld. In any case, a culture change is not to be taken lightly, and is not going to happen quickly. (Just to be explicit: I am, at the moment, arguing neither for nor against such a culture change!)

20 Likes

Seems like this is a specific issue, so starting a new topic for this one:
Standard tiles not expired after edit

Lots of people spend lots of effort devising new ways of finding this that might not be correct and flagging them up so that mistakes don’t get made in the first place or fixing them if they have. There are hundreds of tools to help with that sort of thing.

You are more than welcome to join them and help, but you need to actually do something, not just write forum posts about what someone else could do.

9 Likes

As I write this I think the start of the most recent wave was 2024-06-17T14:03:06Z and it was reverted by 2024-06-17T14:09:05Z . The previous example of this type of vandalism began 2024-06-16T16:58:50Z and ended around 2024-06-16T17:42:14Z.

The all blocks page gets lots of new activity when new vandalism happens.

4 Likes

Any cybersecurity expert will ask “You allow edits without showing ID (suitable for travel abroad)? You allow edits without 2FA?” You bollocks? Today I learned, in my home town, cyber security is offered a STEM (MINT in German) master study.

Me too.

PS: From emoji reaction I can guess, a cybersecurity or infosec contributor joined the block. This reinforces my believe, nothing is gained from calling vandalism a cyber-attack, expcept perhaps when it gets to mobilize the feds/europol/interpol &c.

1 Like

Try 15 years, or longer. Some of us old-timers have seen a lot of changes in this project. We cope, but “cultural adjustments,” especially when they are minor and constant (and that is simply reality) isn’t exactly easy, it is simply something we learn to embrace.

Nobody ever said that sticking around OSM for the long haul was going to be easy. Yet, is it worth it? Of course it is.

4 Likes

I am absolutely sure that we are not equipped with equal rights. So there must be a sort of an “inner team” or whatever this group calls itself. And especially when it comes to copyright, there must be persons with responsibility. In both directions of copyright.

Not really. I suppose the Data Working Group is the closest thing to this concept. That consists of about 20 people to cover the entire world - also unpaid volunteers like other contributors. Clearly 20 people don’t check every tag added to every object - they rely mainly on mappers bringing possible issues to their attention. And most of their work doesn’t rely on any special rights, with a few exceptions described on the linked page.

If you are interested in learning more about how the project is structured you could start at the OpenStreetMap Foundation main page. .

7 Likes

Clearly. Which why I would -as a default- assume that they have installed some automatic warnings or set certain edits unter scrutiny. Like adding highways above/below water bodies :slight_smile:

I think a 476 messages long thread is not exactly the right place to exchange on the actual Openstreetmap contribution system in general.
@hman2, could you maybe start another discussion?

4 Likes

I had one, it got merged and closed.

No - the topic that was merged to here was this one. The title was “DB corruption (or hack?) leads to ghost streets popping up, being labelled in cyrillic letters”. That is the only topic that you have created.

3 Likes

@hman2

If you wish to make further suggestions, then it might be a good idea to familiarise yourself with the OSM ecosystem first. The easiest way to do that is to just start mapping for a while and becoming involved with the community.

Right now you are making a lot of suggestions that are based on an incorrect understanding of OSM. As a result, all of these suggestions are either unfeasible, impossible or undesired to implement.

17 Likes

In my view it fully qualifies as “another discussion” because the aim of this suggestion was to avoid a 400+ thread, at least that is my understanding.

Yes but your thread was (initially) more of the same and got (rightfully IMO) merged with this topic before it derailed at some point, talking about how to reduce vandalism and at that point, I’d have started a new one or (better yet) posted to How about limit new accounts.

5 Likes

To anyone concerned: this forum software (discourse) has the function of muting or ignoring a user.

E.g. if you are tired of those 1000 variations of the “don’t show a vandalized tile (or only show it for mapping feedback)” song that I may have been performing here or elsewhere (yes, I’m tired of that song as well), you might want to visit my forum profile where you’ll find the option to mute or ignore my replies.

In some situations this function really helps regaining your sanity.

This screenshot shows what it would look like:

3 Likes