The lack of visibility of Notes really sucks

I open a thread for a German wide audience for a very local construction, and it has visibility on the map so i know i need to resurvey, or even has a “due” date possibility? Seriously?

I built due date reopening for notes myself with a “noteisdue” bot which reopens notes after time because mappers like to complained about “long term notes”.

But i think thats a misunderstanding about what notes may or may not be used for and i am working around other mappers workflows which they try to force on me.

Flo

3 Likes

For such things :conditional tagging or closing and reopening notes would work.

oh, that works much better if note is closed while it hibernates (rather being open for years) and bot is smart enough to not reopen it if someone else would close it

(reminder to open a brand new note would also work well I guess, maybe even putting into bot delayed note creation)

Every Door also includes notes.

2 Likes

Yes, a lot of these notes are from “Apps” where people can from their phones detect that something is missing, without ever having the intention of actually doing something about it themselves!

And often in fairly obscure places that few actual OSM members visit anyway… And (from a personal point of view) not necessarily things that are top of my priority list to edit either :grinning:

4 Likes

It might be worthwhile for notes to be deleted automatically after some long period, such as 5 years (arbitrary, I know).

1 Like

But, this is quite realistic, particularly since Covid. This is a note about a site I pass most days: it has now been running for 3 years 10 months. As a local community we chose to use notes to follow such projects and post occasional updates: many planned projects get delayed for all sorts of reasons, and it’s often hard to tell the difference between a long-term delay and cancellation.

There is no one-size fits all for Notes, because different local communities have chosen to use them in different ways. In some adding a note is an affront and they have to be closed as quickly as possible (which can make it hard for visiting mappers to contribute effectively), and in others the community uses notes to track the state of long-term types of change (and officious closing of notes removes information which they found useful).

The one thing I would like with notes is the possibility of adding tags, allowing things like check_date etc. If such a feature were to be mooted there are both issues of a technical nature (does one want to version notes) and identifying how such a feature might be used other than the obvious cases.

3 Likes

if local community is fine with it, then it is much better (still not a fan of it, but would not jump in and close such note if it has some activity within last years)

I fully agree with that. That’s why I don’t close every note I see, because some of them show progress information about something that may or may have not been completed after so long since the initial post, so it’s better in my opinion to have them open for someone who is available to check on-site. Sometimes such notes are ambiguous to understand their context, true, but I wouldn’t rush to close it because of that. I try to do an online research whether possible. That’s why I check regularly the recent notes actions in my country to see if the closed notes are with action done or rush closure, so to verify if it should indeed be closed.