Tagging of suburban housing developments?

Today’s dumb question is about tagging of housing developments. I’m not sure how US-centric this is, so a brief summary is that oftentimes developers will build a bunch of houses in a group (often spanning only two or three streets). Those houses will usually be similar in architecture and the group will have a name. (Usually, these developments will also have homeowners’ associations with bylaws restricting what people owning houses in the development can do with their houses.)

TIGER seems to have included the names for a number of these developments, and the import has them tagged as place=hamlet. Is that the best way to represent them? “Hamlet” makes me think of a remote, sparsely populated place, but these are almost always contained within suburbs, although they’re generally way below 1,000 inhabitants (one that I’ve mapped, Cedarwood Estates at http://osm.org/go/ZcIoqe60R-, has just 29 houses). I know a number of tags tend to have slightly different meanings in rural and urban contexts, and I can’t see anything else that would seem to work for this level of population grouping. I just want some feedback to make sure that this use is reasonable before I start applying it elsewhere. Would it be reasonable to put a way around the community and tag that? The boundaries are usually pretty easy to determine: the outer boundaries of the constituent houses, plus any obviously common areas (some developments have pools, workout centers, or the like).

Relatedly, rental communities (areas where a single company owns a number of buildings, often apartment buildings, and rents them out) have similar characteristics to housing developments (most notably, a name for the entire community). Would it be reasonable to tag them similarly?

I’ve been using landuse=residential with name=* for these: http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=28.4165&lon=-81.5084&zoom=14&layers=B000FTF

Ah, that makes sense, and addresses both the name and the fact that the boundaries are generally fairly definite. Thanks!

Only problem I’ve seen is that these are rendered more prominently than community names. Up to the north on Sand Lake Road is the place=hamlet for Dr. Phillips, the name of the community that all of these subdivisions are part of.

By the way, these are usually defined rather explicitly by the developer filing a subdivision plat with the county.