Tagging a way that has a sign for pedestrian priority / cycle slowly

What is the correct way to tag a way that has a sign indicating pedestrian priority and to cycle slowly? eg Mapillary

The way corresponding to this image Way: 229192486 | OpenStreetMap is tagged as highway=cycleway and segregated=no though I am wondering does this properly reflect that it is pedestrian priority?

1 Like

Perhaps:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:maxspeed
or
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:maxspeed:advisory

(in addition to foot=designated and other tags, of course)

The way corresponding to this image Way: 229192486 | OpenStreetMap is tagged as highway=cycleway and segregated=no though I am wondering does this properly reflect that it is pedestrian priority?

in Germany the agreement is to tag this situation with

highway=footway
bicycle=yes

2 Likes

Probably add foot=designated, as recommended in Key:segregated - OpenStreetMap Wiki.

Unless there’s signage suggesting cycling speeds then maxspeed is likely to be inappropriate.

1 Like
highway=footway
bicycle=yes
segregated=no
maxspeed=walk

That’s how I’d map it if it actually requires cyclists not to go faster than walking speed.

2 Likes

@okwithmydecay as of your example would you mind updating the title to “Tagging a way that has a road marking …” ?

@dieterdreist can you please link to this agreement? Recently I have been in lengthy discussions if “bicycle=yes” on a footway means there is a sign or could have different reasons.

I will probably open a new thread to discuss this topic later…

I’d agree with highway=footway, bicycle=yes. cycle.travel considers these as “cyclable paths” rather than “cycleways” and adjusts its routing weight accordingly.

As well as for places where there’s explicit pedestrian priority signage - for example, many towpaths in the UK - this is a good combination to use where the path has been built to footway standards but bikes are allowed. The path beside the A34 from Weston-on-the-Green to Kidlington is one example.

As always, remember a surface tag :slight_smile:

2 Likes

To my knowledge there is no way to explicitly tag there is a sign for cyclists allowed but pedestrians have priority other than specifying the sign code (if known) with traffic_sign=*.

I.e. it is not possible to distinguish

• there is a sign like that and
  • there is no sign but the mapper thought that for other reasons cyclists are allowed here (knowledge about local laws, de-facto situation, personal opinion…)

If you just want to map the situation resulting from the sign, then see @dieterdreist and @Richard 's reply.

Nevertheless, if the fact that it is signed is what you are after, maybe bicycle:signed=yes (not documented) would be clear?

@dieterdreist can you please link to this agreement? Recently I have been in lengthy discussions if “bicycle=yes” on a footway means there is a sign or could have different reasons

you can see it here: https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/DE:Bicycle/Radverkehrsanlagen_kartieren

“Radfahrer frei” on a footway is the combination that means (in Germany at least) priority for pedestrians and driving only at walking speed

I tried to see if I could update the title, however there doesn’t seem to be a way :confused:

@okwithmydecay
Go to your first post and edit this post… (The top left box is the title bar)