Tagging a way that has a road marking for pedestrian priority / cycle slowly

What is the correct way to tag a way that has a sign indicating pedestrian priority and to cycle slowly? eg https://www.mapillary.com/app/?lat=51.540163010359&lng=-0.0596874486655&z=17&pKey=183648674137541&focus=photo

The way corresponding to this image Way: 229192486 | OpenStreetMap is tagged as highway=cycleway and segregated=no though I am wondering does this properly reflect that it is pedestrian priority?

1 Like

Perhaps:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:maxspeed
or
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:maxspeed:advisory

(in addition to foot=designated and other tags, of course)

The way corresponding to this image Way: 229192486 | OpenStreetMap is tagged as highway=cycleway and segregated=no though I am wondering does this properly reflect that it is pedestrian priority?

in Germany the agreement is to tag this situation with

highway=footway
bicycle=yes

2 Likes

Probably add foot=designated, as recommended in Key:segregated - OpenStreetMap Wiki.

Unless there’s signage suggesting cycling speeds then maxspeed is likely to be inappropriate.

1 Like
highway=footway
bicycle=yes
segregated=no
maxspeed=walk

That’s how I’d map it if it actually requires cyclists not to go faster than walking speed.

3 Likes

@okwithmydecay as of your example would you mind updating the title to “Tagging a way that has a road marking …” ?

@dieterdreist can you please link to this agreement? Recently I have been in lengthy discussions if “bicycle=yes” on a footway means there is a sign or could have different reasons.

I will probably open a new thread to discuss this topic later…

I’d agree with highway=footway, bicycle=yes. cycle.travel considers these as “cyclable paths” rather than “cycleways” and adjusts its routing weight accordingly.

As well as for places where there’s explicit pedestrian priority signage - for example, many towpaths in the UK - this is a good combination to use where the path has been built to footway standards but bikes are allowed. The path beside the A34 from Weston-on-the-Green to Kidlington is one example.

As always, remember a surface tag :slight_smile:

2 Likes

To my knowledge there is no way to explicitly tag there is a sign for cyclists allowed but pedestrians have priority other than specifying the sign code (if known) with traffic_sign=*.

I.e. it is not possible to distinguish

• there is a sign like that and
  • there is no sign but the mapper thought that for other reasons cyclists are allowed here (knowledge about local laws, de-facto situation, personal opinion…)

If you just want to map the situation resulting from the sign, then see @dieterdreist and @Richard 's reply.

Nevertheless, if the fact that it is signed is what you are after, maybe bicycle:signed=yes (not documented) would be clear?

@dieterdreist can you please link to this agreement? Recently I have been in lengthy discussions if “bicycle=yes” on a footway means there is a sign or could have different reasons

you can see it here: https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/DE:Bicycle/Radverkehrsanlagen_kartieren

“Radfahrer frei” on a footway is the combination that means (in Germany at least) priority for pedestrians and driving only at walking speed

I tried to see if I could update the title, however there doesn’t seem to be a way :confused:

@okwithmydecay
Go to your first post and edit this post… (The top left box is the title bar)

Maybe I am missing something, but I can’t see any option to edit my post, I don’t even have permission to delete it

If this is the standard approach for tagging a footway that also allows slow and considerate cycling, then it would be worth adding this as an answer option in StreetComplete.

The way that trust levels work in Discourse, which decides who is allowed to do what, is fairly unclear… I’ve edited the title; hopefully I’ve done it OK.

2 Likes

I would also want this, but it will not be easy unless there is a specific/unique tagging that allows to differenciate it from similar situations. E.g.

• bicycle allowed for any other reason (e.g. legal because the way has a certain width)
  • bicycle allowed by a traffic sign (and even to distinguish the different ones)
  • maxspeed=walk explicitly mentioned by a traffic sign

See Bicycle overlay: Complete the picture by highlighting where cycling is allowed · Issue #4714 · streetcomplete/StreetComplete (github.com)
as well as “Fahrradfahrer frei” von Situationen unterscheiden in denen Radfahrer implizit erlaubt sind - Communities / Deutschland (Germany) - OpenStreetMap Community