Tag ground colour in Ashgabat

I’d like to map a rather special area of colour.
It’s in Ashgabat, in the Athletes’ Quarter of the Olympic Village (here: OpenStreetMap), on the ground there are different colours. See this mapillary photo Mapillary.

How do I map it?

Asking on Telegram I was given various ideas:

• “surface=concrete” + “surface:colour=*”
  • “tourism=artwork” + “artwork_type=mural”
  • “man_made=geoglyph”

How would you have done it?

1 Like

from these I think surface=concrete with colour could be ok, or area:highway=* maybe? Somehow there should be a main tag, I think.
Artwork might also be ok, but it definitely isn’t a mural (maybe: artwork_type=floor or pavement?)

I would not consider it a geoglyph either, because these are made with natural material available at the spot.

It looks like an artwork to me. Not 100% sure what kind, though mural does indeed seem to fit based on the wiki definition:

A mural is any piece of artwork painted or applied directly on a wall, ceiling or other large permanent surface.

This one would fall into the “other large permanent surface” category?

A mural is any piece of artwork painted or applied directly on a wall, ceiling or other large permanent surface.

This one would fall into the “other large permanent surface category”…?

is it even painted or applied to? I thought it was made with coloured material. Generally, wall and ceiling are different to floor, IMHO floor is not contained in “mural”. If this isn’t sufficiently clear from the wiki we should fix it.

Fair question - I’d assumed it was painted, but it’s admittedly hard to tell from the imagery.

There’s at least one artist out there claiming to produce “ground murals”. Though as you say, it doesn’t seem to be commonly used terminology.

The creator of that Mapillary photo is a well-known OSMer and has written lots about their time there. I’d just ask them :slight_smile: