Sweden subcategory

Category name

Sweden

Is this a top-level category or a subcategory?

I forgot what this means. Same as all the other country groups.

Description of its purpose and which open mapping groups it will serve

General talk about mapping in sweden.

The description should be: " Discussions about mapping in Sweden. Posting in English or Swedish is ok."

Why is this new category needed instead of being hosted as part of the existing ones?

obvious answer

Is this a new space or does it already exist on other platforms? Where?

Old forum. Hopefully we can move people over from Facebook as well.

Current volume of messages on the former platforms, if any (per week/per month)

Below mesurable at the moment. Potential for growth.

Is there a transition plan for the old platform to this new one? (please link or describe)

no

(Optional) A link or list of the category specific guidelines

n/a

List the usernames of the category moderators

For now:

All volunteered on the mailing list in the discussion regarding opening this category on the community. For transparency, they were chosen as moderators in this proposal because they were the first to volonteer.

Thanks for the request.

While we wait for the proposed moderators to comment here they are OK with the role, it would be great if you could edit the initial message adding next to their usernames in these forums and a brief description on why each moderator was proposed. This is asked as part of the process to provide transparency and allow a community conversation to happen here.

Thanks again!

I volunteered as a moderator because I am active in the Swedish OSM community (editing, mailing lists, Discord, etc). I expect the workload to be very light. I have some previous moderation experience from various other forums.

1 Like

I’m OK with the role. As user “riiga” I am very active the Swedish OSM community. Because I’m retired I have lot of time for this hobby. But I have no previous moderation experience, and if there are enough others taking the moderation role, I can pass.

1 Like

I’m OK with the role. Been active a long time in OSM and was one of the admins in the swedish IRC channel. Otherwise no previous experience in moderation.

1 Like

The #communities:se category is now created and the moderators that commented here have been added to the group.

Please make sure you request an update to the OSM Community Index to include this new channel for your community.

Contributing · osmlab/osm-community-index Wiki · GitHub

Thanks!

Forgot to mention that it would be highly recommended to get the OSM Etiquette Guidelines localized in your country official languages, so people participating in your category can fully understand them.

This can be done on the wiki directly as other languages have already done.

Thanks!

When I go to the English version and select “svenska” as language I get a Swedish version. But a link to that page (svenska) doesn’t work.

Edit: Something strange here I don’t understand. When do the same now (select “svenska”) I get a empty page.

That’s because the page hasn’t been created yet, you will have to edit that blank page, copy and paste the English page source and provide a translation.

While there might be some merit to translating the page I think it would be a waste of time. The vast majority of Swedish-speakers are proficient in English, and in case of emergency, there is always in-browser translation possible. If in spite of this, there are still issues, we will moderate accordingly. There may be up to 5 posts per year, but we will manage :wink:

We are more likely to mistranslate the English guidelines than to actually improve the service.

2 Likes