Supermarket meat/fish counters

Thank you!
I’d much rather not do the indoor tagging of all those supermarkets.
Most supermarkets around here are tagged as nodes and getting to tag all of them as an area would be a huge undertaking.
Moreover, in this case I do not see a great utility in indoor tagging: the shops are small and you can quickly find these counters anyways.

I’m not really sure about tagging those places as shops, since it’s not really a shop. Just a service offered by the supermarket where you can have a person serving you. You are generally not paying there.

Consider that the bank branch, pharmacy counter, or optician inside a supermarket is typically tagged as an amenity or shop.

around here this would make sense because they will always be different businesses (probably required by regulations), and they would be outside of the supermarket shop space (not between supermarket entrances and cash register/diy checkout)

It follows that the bakery counter would be shop=bakery or shop=pastry, the meat counter would be shop=butcher, and the cheese counter would be shop=cheese.

no, not when these are parts of the supermarket (i.e. you don’t pay there, you are served by supermarket staff), yes, in the case they are independent shops under the same roof (e.g. typical for bakeries in Germany)

This is sometimes true in the U.S. too, but here the pharmacy/drugstore would almost always be within the main retail space. The “over-the-counter” medicines, toiletries, cosmetics, and pharmacy counter are in the same space. You can pay either at the pharmacy counter or at the main checkout counter. By the way, this is also how most drugstores here are laid out: the pharmacy counter and photo processing counter are both departments within the main retail space.

I think the distinction is a lot blurrier over here, where the store-within-a-store format is very common and supermarkets have grown to encompass services once the domain of department stores. Not long ago, I visited a Costco store to shop for a cell phone. There were some phones in the electronics department, a few steps away from a kiosk selling the same phones but staffed by a third-party vendor. I would’ve had to begin the transaction at the kiosk but pay at the main checkout counter.

There are two Mexican supermarkets in my neighborhood: at one, the taquería is before the checkout counter; at the other, the taquería is just past it. Both are staffed by the supermarket and you can only pay for your meal at that counter. Both have seating right next to the counter. Across town, there’s a Vietnamese supermarket with a bakery counter before checkout that’s part of a chain of standalone bakeries. You can pay for your whole shopping cart at that counter if you want.

IMHO as long as you can determine whether the counter is its own business or part of the “main business”, you can make the distinction. So far around here, we never tagged these counters as proper shops if they weren’t independent businesses.

US pharmacies are a little different than most other “service” type counters in that you (are generally required to) do a separate transaction at the pharmacy.

In this case I believe the best thing to do would be tagging them as a separate node with the pharmacy tag since they don’t really belong to the supermarket.

This is true for pharmacies (which, by the way, can often check out your other groceries at the same time, up to a certain number of items). On the other hand, I think it would be unfortunate to conflate an eatery with the supermarket or treat it as just a department, merely because it shares an operator. Some supermarkets have whole food courts inside the main retail area. They may have generic or distinct names, but that’s a distinction to make in name or brand, not amenity. That said, I haven’t been going around tagging every supermarket meat counter as a shop=butcher, only where there’s something remarkable about it, and typically only in the markets that are large enough to be like department stores.