South Australia - Road Classification - Proposal

this is that section of main north from from January of this year on mapillary, Mapillary this is not what the OSM wiki means as a Primary road by any definition.

A picture still picture doesn’t represent how a single road fits into the road network. The majority of traffic from Gawler, Gawler East and Willaston would head north to leave Gawler in order to head to Adelaide. It’s also the only way for heavy vehicles to travel out of Gawler when coming along Barossa Valley Highway/Lyndoch Road.

1 Like

that is exactly describing a Secondary road, it is not part of a major route, but nevertheless forms a link in the national route network. Tag:highway=secondary - OpenStreetMap Wiki Id like to move on from this section of road.

The problem with that brief description is that it doesn’t translate well globally, which is why the Australian Tagging Guidelines help offer more nuance by giving both an Australian perspective as well as details on classifying both urban and rural areas.

Sure, can you provide some examples of roads that would be impacted by this change (i.e. roads that are Arterial in the DataSA roads dataset, but are not highway=primary in OSM)?

cox hill and piggot range would go back to secondary, I was in the area when cherry hill had the bush fire a few years ago. A lot of the trunk roads would be cleaned up, I think they are over done currently. Having the A routes as trunk is pretty much the intention of the OSM wiki.

There’s definitely a fair few trunk routes that can be dropped down, but I think all A routes as trunk routes is probably overdoing it a bit, SA is a bit different from other states. Putting every A route to trunk is going to oversaturate it a bit, especially since some of them are significantly more prominant with others.

The issue with Cox Hill/Piggot Range is that from my experience, it’s a lower class road than Panalatinga Road right before it, and Main Road and Clarendon Road after it. Cox Hill and Piggot Range would probably be the route of choice for less people compared to Bains Road or Chandlers Hill Road further up. If you’re far enough south I reckon you’d be looking at the southern part of Piggot Range Road/Upper Penneys Hill Road. I wouldn’t drop it down further, but in my experience it’s about even with Bains Road, and should be seen as a step below Panalatinga/Clarendon.

I know those roads really well, this shouldnt even be a debate TBH. I am trying to answer you as best I can but your not even meeting half way. Its ok if you dont agree with the proposal, id just like to be able to change a couple of things around with out a DWG member giving me a block is all. I dont even plan on editing OSM much in the fuure just want to fix a couple of roads and im done. I dont really care about that road through gawler

I dont see any major objections regarding this proposal by the way, just a couple of concerns about residential and tertial roads. Thankyou for the feedback so far. It is intended to remove debate entirely from our road classifications which I think people reading this can agree that something needs to be done.

I never said you had to agree with me, I’m just providing my opinion as someone in the community that you’re editing, which is why I wanted you to give a bunch of roads. However, it absolutely should be a conversation, you’re doing a mass edit that could be easily seen as an import, and part of that is conversations like this and showing what you’re planning on changing.

I don’t disagree with the entirety of it, my biggest issue is that it’s not a one size fits all situation, which is why discussions and providing information are more important. There’s going to be edge cases, and if you really want this to succeed and remain unchanged, you’ve got to work with the community in the area you’re editing, otherwise it’ll likely get changed down the track anyway by any future mapper.

If you’re going to do an edit like this, it’s going to be easier with a list or something of the changes you’re going to make. I’d encourage putting it together, sharing it with the community, and letting them provide feedback and respond to it. They might not agree with you, and you might not agree with them, but it’s an opportunity to try and come to a middle ground, and maybe you/they might change opinions on a couple of roads by the end of it.

If you do the right thing now, then you’re more likely to end up with a map that everyone is happy with the state of. But going ahead and just changing things that you’ve already had people raise issues with, with no attempt to actually discuss the issues raised, is going to likely lead to another DWG block.

2 Likes

I will do that mate thankyou.

Definitely appreciate it. I’m sure there’s going to be some I disagree with, but part of the process for stuff like this is talking about those. For all I know, you might give me some new insight on some roads too, or maybe it might mean some other roads could get changed to make more sense overall.

I dont wish to change anything about this proposal as far as road classifications go. I believe the data speaks for itself

Are you able to still put together that list for people to see? Expecting everyone else to go and check it manually really isn’t fair, and honestly is worth disagreeing on at just that. Not saying the proposal has to change, but providing that gives people something to actually work with.

2 Likes