Source for peak names in county of Konstanz (Baden-Württemberg)

Hi,
I have recently moved to Germany, to the Konstanz area and I noticed that many hill on the Konstanz peninsula have no names in OSM. I could get the peak locations and probably also elevations by an OTG survey, but there is usually nothing on the top that would hint the name.
Swisstopo is a great map with peak names, but if I understand the Wiki right, only to aerial map can be used.

Is there a source that could be used for hill names and ideally also elevations and peak locations? My German is still very limited so searching for this information is difficult for me.

The only source we really accept at OSM is ground truth, so if there are no signs you will have to ask locals about the names.

Do you mean “peaks” like the Vögelisberg?

You could check the ele-lines on the cycle-map-layer or download the gps-tracks for that area. :wink:

I believe that even in Germany there were imports and in many countries, local names can be found e.g. in cadastre maps, that are usually license-compatible.

The maps-for-BW layer does not contain those infos, if I see right.

Yes, I mean hills, mountains etc., usually tagged with natural=peak (or natural=volcano near Singen :wink: ).

Contours and GPS tracks don’t really tell me the name of the peak.

Of course not, but you also have been asking for the elevations.

from all the currently present data, not much has been imported because there was already a lot of data in the map by them time public datasets have become available.
Anyway, how would you check whether a name for a peak was actually true if you do not know the area and do not want to ask locals? Imports in the sense of blindly trusting “authoritative” sources are not typically performed in Germany, typically available data is used to check for differences and then research the true version.

2 Likes

Right, for that I could use it, but it would probably be better to use an on the ground survey anyway, with GPS averaging etc. The hills are good targets for after-work cycling trips :slight_smile:

1 Like

I just wanted to say that not all data in OSM are based on a survey. I don’t want to do an automated import, I just wanted to ask if there is any source I could use for the hill names.

I have doubts that locals would know the names of many of the hills, also they might get it wrong or it might be just a minority name. Anyway, it is a difficult strategy for me because of my bad German.

2 Likes

Somehow off-topic, but there are also plenty of missing tracktypes along the way to the top, waiting to be tagged. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

My suggestion is you do not pursue these ideas for the moment, and in a few months, when your German has become better, you will be in a position to validate such data before uploading it to OSM - if there is such data available at all in a compatible license.

3 Likes

That’s a great plan :+1: :biking_man: :biking_woman:

1 Like

…and surfaces, mtb:scales, smoothnesses… One can’t never complain about not enough things to do :slight_smile:

1 Like

This collection is in Public Domain. The maps are quite old, obviously, but the name of peaks does not change that often.

Wenn Du das glaubst, dann frage ich mich, warum Du 70 Jahre alte Namen eintragen willst, die Du auch nicht verifizieren willst/kannst.
Für mich wäre das eher ein (heute) namenloser Hügel. old_name wäre die einzige Option - aber sicher nicht auf Grund einer amerikanischen, englischsprachigen Karte, die logischerweise Nichteinheimische auf die Schnelle nach dem Krieg zusammengefriemelt haben.

2 Likes

passt nicht, das sind normale topographische Karten

Ich hab’ mir ein paar angeschaut, diese enthalten auch nicht mehr Namen von Erhebungen als OSM.

Falsch. Ich habe diese Karten mehrach erläutert, ich habe auch einige solche Originale in meiner Sammlung.

Grundbasis dieser Karten sind normale Meßtischblätter des Reichsamtes für Landesaufnahme/ Hauptvermessungsabteilung IV; je nach Bearbeitungsstand. Der verwendete Kartenstand steht auch auf den Blättern untenlinks drauf. Das sind in der Regel Bearbeitungsstände der 1930er bis Anfang 1940er Jahre.

Was wurde an den Karten gemacht?

• Gauß/Krüger Gitter runter, ein UTM-Gitter rauf
  • Blatteckkoordinaten neu: müssten ED50 sein.
  • Gelegentlich wurden militärische/ ehemalige militärische Einrichtungen wie Munas und Flugplätze nachgetragen. Originalblätter haben zudem eine dreisprachige Legende: Englisch/Französisch/Deutsch.

Der sonstige Hauptkarteninhalt ist nicht verändert!!

Zu den Namen selbst: Egal ob es diese oder normale ältere Meßtischblätter sind: In meiner Gegend sind die auf diesen Blättern befindlichen Namen üblicherweise noch immer korrekt. Lediglich bei Gewässernamen im Spreewald stimmt einiges nicht mehr, das ist aber eine andere Geschichte (Stichwort Eindeutschung von Namen 1937).

Edit: Noch zwei Links: beides linke obere Ecke (=Jamlitz) des Blattes 4052:

1. https://maps.arcanum.com (Zeitraum um 1900)
  2. http://susudata.de (Berichtigungsstand 1941; dieses Blatt hab ich in meiner Sammlung!)

Sven

2 Likes

OK, da habe ich nicht genau genug hingeschaut.

1 Like

Und wie verifizierst du jeden einzelnen Namen, wenn die einzige verfügbare (für OSM zulässige) Quelle für die Namen eben jene 100 Jahre alte Karte ist…? Denn ohne Gegenprüfung mit einer aktuellen zulässigen Quelle Namen von einer uralten Karte kopieren und in OSM eintragen ist irgendwie suboptimal.