Single address for both residence and business?

Hello,
I want to add a node to a building. This building has multiple, distinct addresses within it. Specifically it is Way: 284735101 | OpenStreetMap

The problem is that the address 251-16 seems to both represent a residence on the 2nd floor and the business on the first floor. The business clearly presents this address above their entryway, and the adjacent residence also uses this address.

I am using JOSM and it is unclear to me what action I should take here.
My options seem like:

• Make a separate node to represent the first floor restaurant, but then it would require me to duplicate the Address fields which seems like it would be frowned upon.
  • Convert the current address node into the restaurant. This seems like a decent idea because the most prominent feature is the business. Would that imply that the residence above does not exist?

I already tried reading through One feature, one OSM element - OpenStreetMap Wiki but it does not capture my use case clearly.

Any advice regarding the best practice in the situation would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Add addr:floor tag to the address nodeS. Shopping malls have many POI with the same address + the addr:floor tag to add the vertical element they’re at.

Make a separate node to represent the first floor restaurant, but then it would require me to duplicate the Address fields which seems like it would be frowned upon.

you can just use the same address tags on several objects, if they all have the same address, there is no issue with this

8 Likes

As you have found there are different views on usage of addresses, but although we do map individual addresses as standalone elements, I don’t believe they can truly be considered a feature. Mainly they are attributes of other features (buildings, shops, restaurants etc) and in my view should be treated just like other attributes such as cuisine. In other words I think you can repeat the address.

On a practical level associating the address with another feature makes it more readily available for applications which only extract a sub-set of data.

5 Likes

Thank you all for the prompt responses. Given the guidance outlined in this thread, I will make another node with the same address. I will forgo indicating the addr:floor at this time as I do not know if that is included in the official address.

1 Like