Routes "highway=primary, secondary, tertiary" ?

Ma référence est cette page de wiki.

En Suisse, seules les routes dont un numéro figure sur les panneaux indicateurs, cet à dire les routes figurant sur la liste suivante :

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liste_des_routes_principales_de_la_Suisse

devraient être taguées “highway=primary”. Il y a beaucoup trop de routes sur OSM qui sont taguées “highway=primary” alors qu’elles ne le devraient pas. J’ai essayé de corriger le problème dans la région de Lausanne, cependant d’autres villes (Genève notamment…) ont un problème similaire.

Toutes les autres routes, même si elles sont larges et/ou que le trafic y est important, devraient être taguées “highway=secondary”. Si les panneaux indicateurs sont blancs, alors il faut utiliser “highway=tertiary” (ou inférieur).

A ma connaissance, il n’existe pas de critère pour définir entre “tertiary”, “unclassified” et “residential”, donc le cartographe local est libre d’utiliser la classification qu’il pense être la mieux adaptée au terrain.

I hope you don’t mind me answering in English.

About your first point, only routes with numbers on the signs get the primary status (so number 1-30). This is true, but I would regard it as guidance, not as a hard rule. This road network is the result of a political process, which will not always fully match with reality. So if some road is at least as important as this federal network of roads, then go ahead an tag it as primary, even if it is not on this list. I would not agree with your remark “Toutes les autres routes, même si elles sont larges et/ou que le trafic y est important, devraient être taguées highway=secondary”

Also notice, that in the cities those road networks (blue 1-30, blue >100, and white) often blur into the general roads and can not properly be followed. At least there, it is up to the cartographer to make some sensible decisions which roads to highlight.

Now about tertiary, unclassified and residential, there the general specification applies, because nothing special needs to be said for Switzerland. If the road has residential houses next to it, then it is a residential. If the road is an unimportant link between two places, it is an unclassified, the more important ones are tertiary. Everything else is service, For example the road leading solely up to a farm.

I hope this helps
Michael

I do not mind answer in english lang., nor do I mind roads tagged “highway=primary” if there is no number on them. However, the wiki seems to say that officially only roads with numbers on them should be tagged primary

It could have made some sense to use something like vehicles/day on average to classify roads, however, that is not the decision that has been made. Also the data would hard to find for such classification. Such a system would also make urban minor roads “major”, and rural major roads “minor”, as there is more vehicles in cities.

Switzerland really has only 4 official levels of roads autobahn (green), the rarely-used semi-autobahn (also green), primary (blue) and secondary (white). Since those 4 levels should be mapped to OSM’s 7+ levels, there has to be some ambiguity somewhere. The roads with numbers do not mean much - the roads are not more important than the roads without numbers in terms of trafic. Nevertheless, this is what has been decided to tag numbered roads only with “primary”, so this should be respected as much as possible I believe.

Geneva do not have any roads with numbers in it, except road “1” which do not have a clear ending anywhere, apparently the numbers stop right after the cantonal border from Vaud. I guess this could make canton of Geneva an exception and use “highway=primary” in a non-standard way which is different than rest of Switzerland ?! Perhaps continuity of classification with French roads is taken in account instead (so that a road has the same level of importance on both sides of the border).

I do not know the situation around Geneva, but there should be an active community. Maybe you can post your question on the talk-ch mailinglist http://lists.openstreetmap.ch/pipermail/talk-ch/? Hopefully some of them will answer. Or look at who contributed a lot in that region and ask them directly http://resultmaps.neis-one.org/oooc?zoom=12&lat=46.22687&lon=6.13342&layers=B00TFFFFFT. Personally, I don’t feel that these rules should be respected that much. It is a starting point, but if that means that there are a lot less primary roads in a region that has quite a lot of traffic, I doubt it is so wise to follow it through.

The routes with number 1-30 do have a special status with the Swiss government, at least they are listed separately in the decree about the main roads. I know that the signals (numbers) terminate quite unexpectedly, it’s the same in Zurich. I don’t know why. Continuity with the neighbouring countries makes sense in my opinion, as inside Switzerland there is few incentives to make the “expensive” road up to the border, but for a map it looks better if the classification is consistent across the border. But I don’t know those roads. If the roads that connect to the primaries across the border are really worse than the primaries more in the centre of Switzerland, it can make sense to not have primaries going to the border to “warn” the traveller of this situation.

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Highway:International_equivalence

Hello,
I wonder if it still makes sense to systematically tag as highway=primary ALL these main roads with a number. The single-digit roads, in most cases, have been superseded by motorways and have lost their role as main transportation arteries. Route 1, for instance, is now mostly parallel to A1 and is used only for local transportation, as for instance near Bern or between Lausanne and Geneva. Former N5, now cantonal road 5 between Yverdon and Neuchâtel, has become a very quiet local-regional road since opening of A5. To me, these *former *primary roads should be tagged as secondary highways at best.
There are local exceptions. Former N1 is still a major artery between Payerne and Lausanne, same for former N5 between La Neuveville and Biel where there is not parallel motorway.
Possibly, the real criteria to tag as primary should be “part of the official national road network” (réseau des routes nationales) AND “not a motorway” (obviously).

I fully agree, however the only thing that matters is the signalisation, which until now still marks the roads as primary with a number. Maybe this’ll eventually change, however all places with recently replaced junctions with new signalisations sitll have the numbers on them (at least where I live).

Some vehicles cannot ride on motorways. Also most motorways need the vignette so if you don’t have one or don’t want to buy one you still have to use the historical national road network.