[RFC] Highway=pass

Yeah, definitely; I concur; No need to propose highway=pass that just says, you can pass from here to there, there might be something on the ground, e.g. a 4m wide track paved with asphalt, or there might be nothing, You might get by with sneakers, or you might need an ice axe and a rope; We already have highway=path for that :slight_smile:

2 Likes

As mentioned, there is highway=road which says:

Anything which has been tagged highway=road can basically be any kind of ā€œroadā€ from the smallest footpath to the largest motorway

If you know extra attributes, like surface=asphalt + width=4.0 you mention above, or foot=yes + access=no, you can add that. If you donā€™t know details, you simply donā€™t add them.

(Related: Feature Proposal - Voting - highway=scramble)

Except for motorways, that is exactly what highway=path is used for, the difference only on the other end of the spectrum, like what I read in OSM notes, that say, ā€œThere is no path thereā€, the answer goes: ā€œThis is the most praktikable route to get from here to thereā€ or ā€œI have seen people walk there.ā€ So I dreamt up highway=pass to capture such, but the community immediately reminded me, that there is no benefit.

I kind of like this take:

If I were @Mateusz_Konieczny I would start by editing wiki pages. How to create some evidence?

Have a good look at OSM tags for routing/Access restrictions - OpenStreetMap Wiki.
Also, donā€™t just start fiddling with the documentation unless youā€™re clear that the concept youā€™re adding has community support as well as actual use in OSM.

1 Like

Well, I lack the guts to fiddle with the wiki, especially in such a highly loaded tag. That is why I invited someone with more guts. Iā€™ rather collect evidence: Starting here, highway=path | Tags | OpenStreetMap Taginfo Austria

Looks like highway=path is mostly for hiking trails (26% sac_scale). This is by the number of entities. For a better measure, the length of the ways should be used.

What highway=path is purported to be useful as, to map designated foot- and cycleways only accounts for a mere 5.8% (foot=designated) rsp. 4.7% (bicycle=designated). No way to tell, how many there are, that have both, which is the panacea of highway=path tagging. (Overpass might do it or ohsome too, and also calculate length of ways.)

Regarding ā€œactual useā€, is that telling enough?