Request for help in determining how to tag car barriers

On a case by case basis. If little tagging does the job, fine, if not, I’ll tag more.
Starting with the access of the way through the barrier. In NL many cycleways start at a cycle barrier (“fietshekje”). Since they are tagged as highway=cycleway, there is access for bicycles and pedestrians, and not for other vehicles.

If the barrier is on e.g. a residential way, motor_vehicle=no would usually suffice.
If the barrier separates two sections where cars are allowed, I would tag motor_vehicle=no on a short section through the barrier.

The barrier makes no difference in access, for routing. If I wanted to tag access on the barrier, I think motor_vehicle=no would suffice.

You could propose a new barrier value, but I’m pretty sure that does not simplify the tagging of the way through the barrier. I’m not sure if routers nowadays generally include these barrier types in their processing, though.

Do you have a picture of one? NL seems to have the best car barriers, but I’ve never seen their cycle barriers.

Am I correct in understanding that your approach is to not tag the barrier in general, but rather tag the way segments with access?

In that case, it is different from what we want to do, which is to tag the barrier.

no, this would not be correct. The access tags are added to the barrier and then apply to the barrier, and they are independent from the ways on the sides of the barrier which may have their own access tags. You can have a locked gate (for instance) where nobody can pass, but you can freely access both sides of the gate.

I guess that’s up to Peter to respond to :slight_smile: But if you would like to discuss that, please split into a new topic, since it’s not really relevant to this topic.

right, Peter could explain his ideas to you, but it would not change the fact that these questions have already been discussed and agreed, and can already be generally answered by thinking. The tags in OSM always apply to the object on which they are tagged. that’s the rule.

1 Like

Which is what I said. If Peter wants to tag the way, that’s not really relevant to this discussion, since we want to tag the barrier.

No, I tag barriers with the simplest tagging possible, to get them on the map, but I prefer to tag access on ways, because that’s where people move themselves.

Since your main concern seems to be what it blocks, it’s about access through the barrier - and that’s a way. Tagging access on the way is nice for routers and planners, and it takes the blocking/access concern away. That way, you can simply tag the thing as usual in OSM, even if the usual name for the type of object is not logical.

And even if you only tag the right access explicitly on the barrier, you still can use the barrier-with-the-odd-name. So in practice, I don’t see any mapping problem here! However, if you have a new kind of barrier, or a better name for an existing type of barrier, feel free to propose it and I will vote yes if I agree.

1 Like

This was moved out of general talk and to the tagging support section at the request of another community member. I agreed this was the best place to put it.

It seems the topic has died down a little.

This is what I take away from the thread so far:

Everyone who replied to the question of how to tag these car barriers, responded with swing gate for 1).

The majority who replied to the unasked question of whether this is a car barrier or a cycle barrier, indicated it’s a cycle barrier, either because it also could be of some inconvenience to cyclists, or because the term for that arrangement of steel bars is “cycle barrier”.