Rendering tiles - mapnik

Hi All,

I’m trying to generate tiles using mapnik for Wales (planning to have a local tile server for UK). I’ve exported the osm data to postgis using osm2pgsql and all works fine when generate_tiles.py is executed.

But the images generated have only country and coast line layer (do not have layers like street, road) till zoom lvl 9. Beyond that level no images are getting generated.

I have used generate_xml.py to generate my own xml for wales and also rendering for the below limit
bbox = (-4.94,51.97,-3.04,51.70 )
render_tiles(bbox, mapfile, tile_dir, 1, 11 , “Wales”)

Rest of the layers I’ve removed.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks.

For lower zoom levels, Mapnik uses the pre-made coastlines and boundaries that you downloaded, ie the processed_p and world_boundaries-spherical files etc. So if this all that your map shows, then it suggests Mapnik is not able to get the OSM data from your PostGIS database.

When you ran osm2pgsql, did it work correctly, did it give any errors? Also, make sure Mapnik is reading from the correct database, ie the database name and username etc are the same as what you loaded the data into.
I think you can set this with the generate_xml.py script. ie run something like this (before you run generate_tiles.py):

./generate_xml.py --dbname gis --user username --accept-none