Rendering category

Category name

Rendering

Is this top-level category or a subcategory?

Not sure.

Description of it’s purpose and which open mapping groups will serve

Anything rendering, between importing data, designing maps with various tools (mapnk, kosmtik, etc), to serving them (mod_tile, etc).

Why this new category is needed instead of being hosted as part of the existing ones?

Current Categories are not specific enough and

Is this a new space or it’s already existing in other platform(s)? Where?

Rendering maps / OpenStreetMap Forum is the only one I know.

What the current volume of messages in the former platform (per week/per month)

I don’t know how to get that information. What I can see is ‘latest answers’ which clocks at about 2-4/mo.

Is there a transition plan for the old platform to this new one? (please link or describe)

I don’t know, but since it’s in the forums, I would guess so.

(Optional) A link or list of the category specific guidelines

https://community.openstreetmap.org/faq#guidelines

List the usernames of the category moderators

None commited, except maybe me. Maybe I can get some support once this request is up.

Hi and thanks for the request.

It seems this was already discussed in the past. For discussions in English and with this low volume of activity, it’s being suggested to start using the #general category and adding a relevant tag, such as #rendering to the topics.

People will be able to subscribe to a tag and get notifications, and once the volume of activity is large enough, a category can be created and all messages can be moved there. This will also allow you to identify other active contributors to these conversations that might be a good fit to help with moderation in a future category.

Would that work for you?

Thanks!

1 Like

yeah, let’s do that.

2 Likes

Great, and please let us know if you have any questions or requests that the moderation team can help you with :slight_smile:

Thanks!