Queensland to classify roads based on bylaw data

so you’re saying a classification of a road is not a bylaw? even public/private roads have different bylaws. every single bit of data attached to a road becomes a bylaw by default such as speed limits, one way etc. Just because you say something isnt true does not make it fact or means that you are correct.

Bylaws would dictate the classifications, the classifications themselves are not bylaws. Speed limits are also not bylaws, but bylaws may dictate them.

For reference: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/By-law

it is a fact that the classification of roads are by-laws I don’t know what else to tell you

this is a chatpgt answer

Road Traffic Act 1961

1961.50.auth.pdf (legislation.sa.gov.au)

page 18

road authority means—
(a)
an authority, person or body that is responsible for the care, control or
management of a road; or
(b) any person or body prescribed by the regulations for the purposes of this
definition, in relation to specified roads or specified classes of roads;

that is the legislation that was introduced from this bylaw

I cant really say much more because its getting pretty deep in legal territory, which isnt my range of knowledge. off the top of my head.

That just talks about road authorities, it has nothing to do with classifications.

You’re stilll unable to provide any actual bylaws or legislation to back up your claims of using bylaws for classifications. You’ve also gone against what has specifically been told in regards to community consultation for road classifications (retroactive discussions barely count) and using DataSA as a source for road classifications.

the road traffic act is literally the legislation, anything written is the act is enforceable by law. if a certain type of vehicle is not legally allowed to drive on a certain class of road that covers it, you replied in about 2 minutes tops, there is noway you have read the whole act.

I searched for key terms that would help me find the actual classification definitions in there, and found nothing. To use the bylaw or legislation for classification, it needs to contain the actual classifications and some kind of definition.

are you asking about definitions now?

That is exactly what the bylaws are used for. The definitions are needed to figure out how those classifications would map to OSM classifications so the community can discuss that.

individual country definitions of road classifications does not matter. The wiki says “highways are generally specified by country road classification bylaws”

I’m about to implement an email filter to filter out any conversation mentioning “slice0”

1 Like

I think you can just block and that will stop notifications from me

Then how do you go from Collector to any OSM classification? It’s either made up on the spot, or you use definitions and examples (which again requires discussion to agree on) to determine that.

But again, you still haven’t produced any existance of classifications in bylaws.

However, this refers to the official classification in the individual countries. This is NOT automatically the same as the classification of the same road in OSM! You have misunderstood something.

In OSM, we classify roads according to their connection character and traffic importance. In most cases, this will correspond to the official classification. This is because the responsible authorities also take into account the character of the connection and the traffic significance.

Nevertheless, there are numerous cases where OSM will and can deviate from this!

• official government and authority data also contain errors (people work there too)
  • official data can be outdated, OSM data is more up-to-date
  • official classifications are sometimes desirable and serve to control traffic, but may not correspond to reality.

That is why we do not blindly import official government data. OSM has its own assessment of how roads should be classified. The official classification is an important argument in favour of classification in OSM, but it is also only one of several criteria for assessing the classification in OSM. There are other criteria whose evaluation can lead to a higher or lower classification of the road in OSM than the official classification.

3 Likes

at the very least the road the was demanded to be reverted which I did Changeset: 149899808 | OpenStreetMap I wrote a diary entry on the stretch of road slice0’s Diary | the DWG rules placed on my edits have already ruined the map | OpenStreetMap at the very least why would it be classed as a primary road on OSM if it doesnt even carry a B route designation legally. How does the classification match up with anything in the wiki.

Contributions to OpenStreetMap should be:

• Truthful - means that you cannot contribute something you have invented.
  • Legal - means that you don’t copy copyrighted data without permission.
  • Verifiable - means that others can go there and see for themselves if your data is correct.
  • Relevant - means that you have to use tags that make clear to others how to re-use the data.

The very page that has the route letters and classifications says:

There is no direct correlation between the road classification and route numbers. The classifications provided below are a guide, but mappers should classify highways based on the actual nature of the road, rather than any formal route designation.

So it being a B class doesn’t make it a secondary road automatically. What we should do is look at the road and its placement in the road network. It’s the main road out of a town, and is a heavy vehicle road.

3 Likes

I’ve read it, you’ve already mentioned it several times.
So what? I can’t see anything in it that contradicts my view or that supports your view. You seem to be misinterpreting something.

I mean that is just that unsourced unverified australian guideline that does not in anyway fit in anywhere within the rest of the wiki or shares the views of the far majority of other community’s, Tasmainia and queensland follow the A, B , C standard. I am in the office at the moment on a friday night. When I get home I will run a few O-T querys to get a bigger picture of classifications in australia. I am worried that south australia is behind in the road classification standard is all. the wiki for proper classification supports legal data.

Contributions to OpenStreetMap should be:

• Truthful - means that you cannot contribute something you have invented.
  • Legal - means that you don’t copy copyrighted data without permission.
  • Verifiable - means that others can go there and see for themselves if your data is correct.
  • Relevant - means that you have to use tags that make clear to others how to re-use the data.