Proposal to add Mobile Phone Detection Cameras as a ID preset

In Australia the authorities are rolling out cameras that detect if you are using a phone while driving, they are called Mobile Phone Detection Cameras. There are no tags even close that can be used to describe these cameras. As we already have highway=Speed_Camera is like to propose we can make a new ID just as Highway=Mobile_Phone_detection_Camera

In the long run I think the enforcement relation is a better option compared to highway=* for these types of enforcement.

I think highway=mobile_phone_detection_camera would be okay for a first pass, but going further we should standardise on enforcement=mobile_phone. There are 5 already mapped this way, all in NSW, AU overpass turbo: enforcement=mobile_phone.

4 Likes

I agree that the enforcement relation is a better option as well. I suggested “highway” only because speed cameras are under highway but even for them enforcement is probably better too.

Note that if tag is established and so on then place to propose changes to iD presets is at GitHub - openstreetmap/id-tagging-schema: 🆔🏷 The presets and other tagging data used by the iD editor

In Australia the authorities are rolling out cameras that detect if you are using a phone while driving, they are called Mobile Phone Detection Cameras. There are no tags even close that can be used to describe these cameras. As we already have highway=Speed_Camera is like to propose we can make a new ID just as Highway=Mobile_Phone_detection_Camera

we already have man_made=surveillance maybe add a subtag for these? I guess they do number plate recognition and maybe face recognition, don’t they?

2 Likes

yes man_made is another ID that it could be placed under. I am no expert as to how exactly the tag/ID should be implemented but also not to sit on the fence either id definitely lean towards the enforcement relation simply because it makes more sense that just “man-made” its more refined. man-made is very very open to interpretation.

Yes, the man_made=surveillance tag is suitable for all kind of surveillance devices, but you won’t have to stretch the meaning here in any way, clearly these are generic surveillance devices/cameras, and the image recognition to detect the use of smartphones is very likely just a part of it to get more acceptance.

1 Like

they are operated by law enforcement they are not just random cameras, they are enforced by fines. surveillance is more just shops/home operated cameras ran by civilians, the use of enforcement is more justified than just man_made=surveillance… that just seems so out of date now

Id even say that the man_made tag doesnt even related to stuff like camera at all, im thinking its more for old war time surveilence posts and lookout things like that. man_made just seems out of place for electronic cameras

The key part of a lot of primary tags only serves as a broad categorization that often doesn’t make a lot of sense and is pretty unimportant. highway=* makes even less sense for surveillance cameras.

What matters is that we already have an established tagging scheme for surveillance cameras which this definitely falls under. Automatic licence plate readers are tagged as man_made=surveillance + surveillance:type=ALPR for example. The actual enforcements (speed, red light cameras, …) are tagged via enforcement relations.

1 Like