Proposal - OSM.org Editor Inclusion Policy

It is technically impossible to choose what happens on computer run by someone in such case.

They could have configured their computer so Libre Office Calc is opened on using remote control edit button.

It is not “don’t care”, it is “computers are not working this way”.

(it is possible that I am mistaken)

2 Likes

Technical I agree with you. So, it might be the remote control function can’t comply with the such policy.

Remote control is not an editor. It doesn’t have to comply with the editor inclusion policy.

2 Likes

The difference is you have to install the app first.

Technically this is correct, though I don’t think the understanding of the users is the same. For a normal user currently there are two links in the Edit-menu, one is directing to iD the other one to jOSM (since P3 and Merkartor are more or less just a niche). It’s not obvious that only one of the two links are part of the Editor Inclusion Policy.

I would say that all items should be covered. I see no issues in restricting the evaluation to the editor as supplied or recommended. Someone sufficiently motivated can compile their own version of any desktop editor which, by default, will do something the community believe should not be done. That’s different than the case where an editor, as supplied and recommended, does stuff that shouldn’t be done.

4 Likes

Apologies if I missed it, but I was wondering if there are any updates on the acceptance of the inclusion policy. I didn’t see it discussed in the January minutes.

3 Likes

Same, the new RapiD release has maproulette integration and a lot of other convenient features

1 Like