Proposal for a mass edit of street names in Republic of Cyprus

There are five language-specific Latin letters, č ć š ž đ, which we transliterate in int_name as c c s z dj respectively.

Granted, this is a “poor man’s transliteration” aiming to help “lazy typists” and “stupid software”, rather than something you’ll commonly find in actual signage; for formal inscriptions and proofread English texts, we should use the sr-Latn version (e.g. Wikipedia does). On the other hand, if it’s good for Novak Djokovic [Đoković] and our international sport teams, who am I to complain? :smiley:

1 Like

@PeachyOne You are correct in the Greek side of Cyprus we have a commission that is responsible for the translation of the greek names into the Latin alphabet for the street signs. We have specific rules and if you are not sure you can always use their tool to transliterate into Latin according to the ELOT 743 standard.

1 Like

I am aware of both the commission and its tool. Personally I am more partial to the tool the Greek Police uses, as it follows a form of ISO 843 that doesn’t include diacritic marks (τόνους και διαλυτικά). For example, in the ΜΚΕΤΓ tool, Αγία Νάπα is romanised as Agía Nápa. However, in its own lists and in Cypriot signage, it is romanised as Agia Napa.

In any case, a list of romanisations and Greek equivalents for common names (politicians, mythological figures, place names) could be quite easily found/agreed upon.
It is more obscure locally specific names that would require local knowledge, street level imagery or surveying to find the Greek name.

1 Like