Poland subcategory

In case of migrating OSM forum here we need a “Poland” subforum for Polish community.

(most discussions would be in Polish, with occasional foreign language poster from abroad)

Category name

Polska (Poland)

Is this top-level category or a subcategory?

Top Level, perhaps second level, if there is a “Local Language” or “Local Community” top category.

Description of it’s purpose and which open mapping groups will serve

Poland specific discussions and for general discussion in Polish.

Why this new category is needed instead of being hosted as part of the existing ones?

It should be Poland/Polish specific.

Is this a new space or it’s already existing in other platform(s)? Where?

on the current forum

What the current volume of messages in the former platform (per week/per month)

3 so far today, so about 80-100 per month I guess

Is there a transition plan for the old platform to this new one? (please link or describe)

It appears that forum.openstreetmap.org will be forcefully shut down, so we are forced to migrate.

(Optional) A link or list of the category specific guidelines

I guess that OSM Etiquette Guidelines will apply.

List the usernames of the category moderators

The same as on users: Poland / OpenStreetMap Forum if they will agree

Oh, if the forum was active in the old one, this will be handled as part of the ongoing migration plan.

Hello,

In the last forum governance meeting a decision was taken to move ahead and allow communities to request new categories now, since we don’t have yet a timeline for the migration to finish.

We can move forward with this request, we just need the usernames of the moderators for the subcategory and get them commenting here they are OK taking this role.

Thanks!

1 Like

rmikke is interested, I pinged him to comment also here OpenStreetMap Poland - #12 by rmikke

optionally I am OK with this role, if more people would be needed

Great, for transparency ideally we are asking communities to provide a list of usernames and a brief description on why these people are suggested as moderators (as well as the suggested people to comment accepting the role)

Thanks!

rmikke is already a moderator on Poland subcategory on official OSM forum and trusted user and is doing its moderation job well.

I am (hopefully) also a trustworthy user and I also have history of (I biasedly think) good moderation on global Discord, global Telegram and Polish Discord, Polish telegram channels.

1 Like

The #communities:poland is now created. Let me know if you want a category logo or header image to be added.

Cheers.

1 Like

Posted on community.openstreetmap.org - kategoria dla Polski / users: Poland / OpenStreetMap Forum

There is risk that forum.openstreetmap.org and community.openstreetmap.org activity will be eaten by Polish OSM Discord Server - at least for now, while owner is not yet really monetizing Discord.

Sure, I’m willing to continue being a moderator here :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I have also asked the other active moderators of the old forum if they would continue their work here as well.
RicoElectrico has agreed, I hope he will confirm it here soon.
I’m still waitng for the answer from kocio.

2 Likes

Discord, as well as other chat-based platforms, are not a replacement for an “async” communication channel like a forum like this.

Both can co-exits and supplement each other, and Discourse can optimize for certain contributors who don’t have all the time to be online and scroll through the chat or need some time to read and reflect on their opinions :sweat_smile:

Hi if it’s possible I’d like to apply for moderation privileges here.
I am not moderator on current polish forum, however I have some spare time to do so. I believe my history of OSM activity is trustworthy.
I am engaged in Telegram community, was mentioned few times on WeeklyOSM, I am active user of current (old) forum and it’s first time since my activity (2020) where I can apply for so in migration time.
If it’s not correct place to apply please point where to do so.

2 Likes

I can vouch for kuba :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hi, I confirm that I can continue both admin and polish moderator roles.

2 Likes

Thanks. Adding @kubahahaha and @kocio to the mod group.

@Mateusz_Konieczny is it possible if you edit the first message to include the list of mods usernames and the brief description for easy reference in the future?

Thanks! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Can I suggest you take this opportunity to update the Community Index page with this new category link?

You can do this by opening a new issue in their github repo, you might want to also provide update on existing channels for your community in case some have changed or are no longer used.

Cheers.

1 Like

Shouldn’t we wait for import from old forum as (as far as I understand) it’s not yet recommended to point here because site is under construction?

1 Like

The site is fully usable and in production, feel free to link or use it as your main channel.

I was pinged by rmikke - I agree to be the mod here just like I did in users: Poland on the old forum.

One question : how will be spam control implemented in the Discourse? Will it be similar in that mods would need to approve posts of new users?

1 Like

Thanks for commenting @RicoElectrico, I’ve added you to the Poland mods group.

Spam control is handled by different mechanisms:

• People need to create and login via OSM account.
  • New forum users have a lower trust level and can’t really spam much (links, rate limit…)
  • The flag button allows for community moderation, where enough reports from higher trust level users can hide posts until a moderator reviews the report.
  • As category-moderators you will have a review queue with all the posts flagged within the Poldan category.