Palverännutee hiking trail

Hello!

Have we have maped this hiking path called “palverännutee”? Using ID but it is crumblesome on looking up relations. Simple search for “palverännutee” gave nothing.

Kultuurilooline Palverännutee Piritalt Vastseliina

Additional info

Best regards!

You can always select a way and check if it has any relations. I don’t see any such relations on ways which should have been included in this route.

It also would have shown here

https://hiking.waymarkedtrails.org

Oh wow! I see so many missing trails already there… Guess next bikepacking hike have to map some of them at the same time.
Guess Have some work to do then to map that Palverännutee hiking trail.

I checked the gpx file (Põhiteekond, juuli 2020) and according to Komoot there are over 25km of roads/tracks/paths that are not mapped in OSM. I would definitely encourage everyone improve this, as long as there is at least some other source that confirms that the missing part of highway actually exist. Additionally there are several interesting POIs along the route.

But when it comes to adding the route to OSM, I would question the practicality it. I expect that this route doesn’t have any trail blazing markings? Not that such marking should be a requirement but I personally just see very little benefit of having such long routes in OSM.

Also check the listing of EE hiking routes. I suspect a lot of small ones are not visible on a map unless zoomed in.

On a slightly different topic, what about these routes:
relation/6535295
relation/6562171

What kind of purpose does these “mõmus ühe päeva rattamatk” have? :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve added a comment here

I see no harm. If people actually use this route it could be useful.

I agree. There is more than one way to orient on the track in the modern world. This should not keep us away from marking such trail in OSM.

I’ll reuse this topic also on how to mark such route. The Maa-Ameti map shows the trail running on vehicle roads a lot of the times but at the same time there are pedestrian roads next to these vehicle roads.
Since this hiking trail is I guess for walking, spiritual stuff’n’all, should the trail be marked exactly as Maa-Amet map shows or we could depending on the context shift the trail to the pedestrian paths?

Personally, I think that sidewalks are better.

I actually meant that marked trails usually have higher degree of importance and therefore should definitely be in OSM. I also agree with @qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq, there is no harm of adding it even if it does make some future road edits slightly more complicated.

Additionally a 400+km route should probably be made into smaller sections. See Eesti Jaakobitee as an example.

Finally, I would strongly suggest to use Stava Heatmap when adding missing trails in wooden areas.

1 Like

Wrote to palverännutee creators for additional information about the track, the permission to add it to OSM and got still one more question about it. Since I see that there is main path and there are some side paths on this trail, mostly some interesting stuff to view at during the hike. How should these side paths be marked with relations? Like separate relation with different relation naming or with main relation but add a tag under relation for the main path as main and for side path as side?

It looks like there are special roles just for that
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:route%3Dhiking#Roles

Looked through RMK hiking trails on the RMK hiking trails and so far something like around 10-15 hiking trails are missing from OSM. Few of them is hard to map without map and purely Strava heatmap wont be good enough for this occasion. Also aerial images are lacking of detail to even guess where the path might be.
Few of those missing trails I have added already but some I am not able to add at the moment. Added notes where the trails are missing. Since I am not fully through checking RMK trails list I bet I will find more hiking trails that are missing from the OSM.

On a different note, I am having trouble on classifying the trails. Specifically the network class tag. It has four options: kohalik, piirkondlik, riiklik and rahvusvaheline.
The latter two are easy but what is the difference between kohalik and piirkondlik in our small country? A lot of the hiking trails are marked as piirkondlik but are they really piirkondlik or should a lot of them be kohalik instead?