Overturemaps.org - big-businesses OSMF alternative

Quick note from the OSMF Board. We are prioritizing this issue. We reached out to Overture Steering Committee about the licensing issue and received response with their intention to quickly fix these issues. We do not have an exact timeline from them, nor do we know if their next update might need further adjustment. We intend to inform you all more when we have more info (though it may not be me as your Board Secretary, Iā€™m OOO for the next week).

17 Likes

VentureBeat - April 12, 2023 6:00 AM
" Overture Maps Foundation pre-releases collaboratively-built map dataset as shared asset for location-based apps"

"In future releases, the foundation plans to introduce a structured data schema that will simplify the use of maps, and a global entity reference system that will link different datasets to real-world entities.

Overture acknowledges the challenges ahead but is optimistic about the progress it has made and the potential for growth. The foundationā€™s ultimate goal is to build an open map dataset that anyone can use and that will expand the usability of location as a critical part of the worldā€™s shared infrastructure."

https://venturebeat.com/programming-development/overture-maps-foundation-pre-releases-collaboratively-built-map-dataset/

Just to explain this: the Overture Map Foundation doesnā€™t actually exist, the legal entity is the Joint Development Foundation, which while a ā€œseparateā€ legal entity is operated and, as far as can be told by the available documents, controlled by the Linux Foundation.

Correction: the Matryoshka of Linux Foundation shell companies has a or two layers more, the ā€œOverture Maps Foundationā€ is actually a Joint Development Foundation Projects, LLC ā€œseriesā€. The JDFP LLC is a subsidiary of the JDF according to their website. This paper has more information https://www.jolts.world/index.php/jolts/article/view/137/262 according to it it would seem that the OMF is actually its own legal entity.

That is in summary: the OMF is a subsidiary of the JDFP LLC that is a subsidiary of the JDF which in turn is operated and controlled by the LF.

If this reminds you of certain other areas of human ā€œendeavourā€ then that probably isnā€™t a coincidence.

8 Likes

Overture intends its models to address the challenges inherent in building cooperation across many entities. ā€œThere is very strong market interest in building an open map dataset that can be a shared asset for all companies,ā€ explained Metaā€™s Prioleau. ā€œThe costs and complexity of building the quality of map data expected by users have grown beyond the capabilities of any one company. That strong interest and alignment give the motivation to overcome challenges. By building Overture Maps within the Linux Foundation, we learned the best practices from the leading open-source collaborations.ā€

In future releases, the foundation plans to introduce a structured data schema that will simplify the use of maps, and a global entity reference system that will link different datasets to real-world entities.

I would be very curious about that. They might also suggest new useful standards for 3D data.

1 Like

May I respectfully suggest that the OMF has had more than enough time now to address and cure the issue.

9 Likes

Fresh changes! :mag_right:
in the https://overturemaps.org/resources/faq/

new version:

How will Overture data be licensed?

Overture data derived from data licensed under ODbL (such as OpenStreetMap data) will be licensed under ODbL to the extent the license requires it. All other data will be licensed under the Community Database License Agreement ā€“ Permissive v2 (CDLA).

( this is the changes )

7 Likes

They have time to fix -that-, but not the download page which is at the centre of the complaints???

6 Likes

I see that most of the members of this thread are strongly opposed to the Overture Map Foundation. I believe that this refusal to cooperate does not contribute to the further development of the relationship between OSMF and OMF. Establishing a mutually beneficial relationship is the task on which all the efforts of the OSMF Board are now directed, and the task of the entire OSM community is to support the Board.

I mainly sense surprise and frustration due to a lack of information. I also feel uncertainty and cautious curiosity about how this will affect OSMā€™s future. From a distance, both organizations are interested in cooperation, but the boundaries and the new status quo have not yet been clarified. The creation of OvertureMaps is already a result of old conflicts with the OSM community, and these conflicts need to be resolved quickly while building new trust. Both organizations need to make gestures for this. The next year will be critical in this regard.

8 Likes

Thatā€™s literally the opposite way round from how OSM works :wink:

" The goal of the foundation is to support but not control the OpenStreetMap project."

24 Likes

Another quick update from the board: we have received a notice from the Overture Steering Committee that they need more time to consult with their lawyers but will have a fixed version soon. We have made it clear that the matter is urgent and pointed out the simple solution of removing the download site. We are also looking into more formal way to make our point of view clear.

As previously said, we are open to engaging and collaborating with Overture. The board has approached OMF to that end in the past and we hope to set up regular exchanges in the future. However, every relationship needs to be based on mutual respect. And respect for the license that the OSM community has chosen for their data is part of this.

34 Likes

Definitely, one of the reasons for creating Overture is that people from companies could not win with spontaneous vote from the OpenStreetMap community to be elected on the OSMF Board. Remember that.

Another well-known issue is that OSMF traditionally does not seem to take seriously the use of companies (at least on an individual level, not a set of companies competing with OSMF) that violate the license, even when they hide that the data comes from OpenStreetMap.

Therefore, the creation of the Overture Foundation with the intention of hiding who OpenStreetMap Foundation is is a logical step if OSMF acts as expected. And I would would say they are not just testing the data, but OSMF reaction before they go public.

The OMF has now managed to change the wording on the download page too, see Download ā€“ Overture Maps Foundation

7 Likes

and new changes in the FAQ:

How will Overture data be licensed?

Generally, Overture data is licensed under the Community Database License Agreement ā€“ Permissive v2 (CDLA) unless derived from a source that requires publishing under a different license, such as data derived from OpenStreetMap, that constitutes a ā€œDerivative Databaseā€ (as defined under ODbL v1.0), which will be licensed under ODbL v1.0.

2 Likes

So, in my mind, this is shaping up to be a ā€œbattle of licensesā€ and actual data, where Overture controls a database that has CDLAv2 data + ODBLv1 data and OSM controls a database that has ODbLv1 data.

OMF effectively ā€œcapturesā€ some portion of OSMā€™s data (perhaps all of it), plus ā€œadds to itā€ additional data (which obviously suits them as especially relevant to their use cases) using a different license.

Or is that too simplistic a summary? Perhaps Iā€™ve got this all wrong.

It sounds like Star Trekā€™s Borg (a star-sized, partly-synthetic, partly-biological, hive-mind, aggressively hostile society), who, when absorbing new and unwilling intelligent meat, used the motto ā€œResistance is futile; You WILL be assimilated.ā€

Iā€™m new to this forum even tho Iā€™ve been using OSMAND for a couple years. I got involved to help correct some one the ground errors I found and have been impressed by the community.
I know that, in my area, since the lockdowns and such, there are many people who are interested in such open community efforts. I am going to be teaching one such group about physical maps, physical compasses, GPS technology and OSMAND in the future. I believe there will be many who want to join the OSM mapping effort as they are already working on such a project using physical maps.
I would hope, and urge, that OSM stays open and uncontrolled by corporate interests. Too often I have seen open projects get funding and then evolve into commercial products. Some things that have gone this way in the past: Blender before NaN went out of business and Open Office. There are others but I donā€™t have them on the top of my head.
Please stay FOSS.

3 Likes

I just participated as a listener in the OSMF Board meeting where the license was discussed.

Iā€™m aware licensing stuff can be boring, but:

1. OSMF board is taking this seriously, so my previous comments are unfair, and Iā€™m publicly acknowledging this. Sorry, yes, OSMF is doing a great job.
  2. It seems that the lawyers of Overture are not as sure if they can relicense the data the way the initial group who created Overture would think would be acceptable under law. Itā€™s too soon to say, but my current personal opinion is: way Overture would share data to differentiate itself from OpenStreetMap (might not be allowed by Overture lawyers (and this is relevant, because the lawyers would care about how their data de facto is created, not just the marketing they do about the data). This would be so beautiful.

Like I commented, this licensing discussions are boring, but the not so public work being done by the board is fantastic.

11 Likes

@fititnt, I appreciate the brevity, candor and honesty in your post and have given it a thumbs-up.

Thanks for your participation (listening) and thank you for your characterization of the meeting here.

4 Likes

in the news ( 2023 May 11 ):

1 Like

Kőszőnőm, Samu. This is a rather public, ostensibly more clear explanation of Overture from one of its principals (Marc Prioleau, Metaā€™s head of mapping). Although, it sounds to me like Overtureā€™s goals have a great deal of overlap with OSMā€™s basic tenets like ā€œOpen map data changes the equation and provides a level playing field that democratizes mapping,ā€ and it remains elusive what is different. Ownership and control, or something around there, I would assume. Itā€™s still fuzzy to me.

This (Overtureā€™s development ahead) continues to unfoldā€¦

2 Likes