OSM user names shortened for discourse?

Not sure if it’s to much attention, but could we inform affected users before they signup to avoid confusion or shitstorm?

1 Like

We can change those default values in the settings. This includes extending the range of permitted unicode chars:

dc2

1 Like

Thanks for your feedback. I am not sure about the possible maxlength, ist it 20 characters (which appears to be the default) or 60 as mentioned by nukeador in #5?

If there is no way to establish a more flexible name handling, I would support the suggestion of _i1 to inform affected OSM users if that would be possible 

I have now increased max length from 20 → 40 and enabled Unicode. Unicode usernames were not allowed before.

4 Likes

Did you enable any unicode? There were some recommendations about being careful about it from discourse devs.

With a diverse community like ours, where the members are from all over the world, writing in many different scripts, I would expect usernames to contain lots of different characters, whitelisting does not seem feasible

The users’ username is set from their OSM login. We are very flexible on what we allow on OSM.org, so likely best being as flexible here to now cause any disruption for users.

3 Likes

Now also allowed min characters to 1. Username is set from osm.org, so will be overridden from whatever is allowed there.

1 Like

Noted, just making sure we were OK with potential homograph attacks on usernames as a result of allowing any unicode char.

It also breaks the internal letter avatar system as far as I read.

Yes - those are a thing already (sometimes not even needing unicode). https://www.openstreetmap.org/user_blocks/4730 is a block on one such. As Firefishy says it I don’t think that it makes a lot of sense to have this site more strict than osm.org where users come from.

3 Likes

@dieterdreist : I believe you somehow misunderstood my post. The user name in question is @ᚐᚅᚇᚐ__ᚐᚋ11 - which lacks the rainbow flag.

1 Like

Unicode and longer usernames are now supported. Can we confirm if this was solved for everyone?

Thanks!

1 Like

Another barrier removed 
 thanks for that, whoever did the job! :+1:

1 Like