OSM Tile Server and Ubuntu 15.04

Had some questions. Set up a OSM Tile Server on Ubuntu 14.04 using the online guide at https://switch2osm.org/serving-tiles/manually-building-a-tile-server-14-04/ some time ago. I recently updated to 14.10 and 15.04 to get the latest version of Ubuntu. Tiles that already were generated are displaying but new tiles are not being generated and the renderd / postgress processes are not being kicked off when moving to an area where tiles should generate. The postgresql-9.3-postgis-2.1 was upgraded to postgresql-9.4-postgis-2.1. The Ubuntu upgrader removed boost and some other packages, I re-downloaded all the required packages in the 14.04 tutorial.

• Do I need to do anything special / rebuild the database? / to get generation to work again?
  • Could the problem be that 15.04 uses systemd instead of init.d?

The first place I’d look would be in the output of renderd. If renderd is getting requests from Apache you should be seeing [renderd] messages in /var/log/syslog (or wherever that is now in 15.04). If you’re not seeing requests in there, something’s amiss.

Perhaps try “sudo /etc/init.d/renderd restart” (which should stop and restart renderd, output “Restarting Mapnik rendering daelmon renderd” and cause its startup messages to be written to the log) - whatever output you get from that might help people diagnose things.

I’ve never used 15.04 (I’ve no reason to upgrade as I have a working tile server!) - I guess that it could be the systemd change, but it could just as easily be something else. Without a bit more info it’s difficult to comment.

Another change that was made yesterday was a new release of osm2pgsql - that probably won’t affect you but might affect people installing from scratch.

One more thing - you’ll probably get more eyes on the problem posting somewhere else (perhaps http://help.osm.org , the “dev” mailing list or #osm-dev in IRC). If you do post somewhere else I’d try and pastebin what information you can and link to that from the question so that people have a bit more to look at.