OSM Nepal Category

Category name

OSM Nepal

Is this a top-level category or a subcategory?

This is a sub-category. (Category for Nepal community)

Description of its purpose and which open mapping groups it will serve

There is a need of standard community for discussion on topics related to Nepal mapping.

Why is this new category needed instead of being hosted as part of the existing ones?

This will be focussed on all the mapping activities for the country Nepal. It will have distinct characteristics to be discussed. There is need of separate category.

Is this a new space or does it already exist on other platforms? Where?

Nepali community is using Facebook but there is a need to have this forum for Nepali affected topics.
( Link for Facebook group: OSM Nepal | Facebook )

( Previous osm_forum link: users: Nepal - OpenStreetMap Community Forum )

Current volume of messages on the former platforms, if any (per week/per month)

5 to 10 posts per week; 25-30 posts per month

Is there a transition plan for the old platform to this new one? (please link or describe)

As a new category is created here we will be inviting all the people form Facebook to this community so that we could get more exposure and get answers to our questions from experts from all over the world that are active in this community forum

(Optional) A link or list of the category specific guidelines

OSM Etiquette Guidelines

List the usernames of the category moderators

1. Anil Basnet
    -Most active and experienced mapper from Nepal, worked a lot in localization of OSM in Nepalese community. He is moderator of “OSM Nepal” group in Facebook.
  2. marek kleciak
    -Loves mapping in Nepal more than anything, has been contributing to Nepal since a decade, loves to communicate and teach Nepalese people about OSM. He is admin of ‘Nepal Street Naming Project’ group in Facebook.
  3. Heinz_V
    -Has been contributing to Nepal for a very long time, knows a lot about data issues Nepal and actively working to solve the issues. He is admin of ‘OSM Nepal’ Telegram group.

(These people are very suitable to be moderators for the Nepal category)

Please everyone endorse and support for OSM Nepal Category.

5 Likes

I support this concept to create a category for OSM Nepal Community.

2 Likes

We really need this sub category for Nepali OSM community. Some users are against Facebook use, so I would recommend creation of this page.

2 Likes

A new forum for Nepal would be very helpful. And if possible the posts of the old Nepal forum should be imported.

2 Likes

I also support this concept to create a category for OSM Nepal Community.

2 Likes

OSM Nepal community is actively mapping and validating in different parts of Nepal and the world. For the discussion of different agendas and technical parts of mapping and validation on OSM, we are limited to our Facebook group and most of the people in the world don’t use Facebook that much.
Hence, I want to request everyone on this forum to help create an OSM Nepal category in this community forum so that a lot of mappers from Nepal could connect and discuss ideas with mappers around the whole world.
Thank you

2 Likes

We desperately need community category for Nepal.
For discussing issues related to the network of OSM communities across Nepal, topics such tagging, validation, mapathons, and many more activities related to OpenStreetMap in Nepal.

Thank you @Anil_Basnet for taking lead in this initiative.

1 Like

The old Nepal forum has already been imported and migrated. It is just waiting for the new Nepal category to be confirmed with (at least) three moderators.

2 Likes

Thanks for the request.

@Anil_Basnet can you add a brief description of each proposed moderator for reference?

As per the current Moderation Selection Criteria after the community has 5 days (that must include weekend days) to discuss about this proposal, a voting poll will be opened for another 5 days to validate the list.

Cheers.

Hello again everyone,

Five days have passed for the community discussion so now a voting poll is opened for another five days to validate the final list.

The list will be validated if it gets at least 80% of yes votes. Note that votes (who voted what) are public to help identify any abuses.

Thanks!

Do you approve @Anil_Basnet @marek_kleciak and @Heinz_V to be category moderators for the “Nepal” category?
  • Yes I approve
  • No, I don’t approve (please comment below)

0 voters

1 Like

I support Anil, Marek and Heinz to be moderator of OSM-Nepal.

This is mandatory for Nepal.

I support Mr. Anil, Marek and Heinz to be moderator of ‘Nepal’ category.

The #communities:np category is now enabled and the approved moderators have been added to the group. Content from the previously imported users:Nepal is also preserved.

Please make sure you request an update to the OSM Community Index to include this new channel for your community and remove any former/inactive one.

Also, please make sure you edit the “About community category” topic to include a link to OSM Etiquette in your language, you can provide a translation if needed on the wiki.

Thanks!

2 Likes